PDA

View Full Version : 360 flexplate spacer AMC turbo 400

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

PumpkinCrusher
09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
A few years ago I installed a reman 360 with new flexplate into CJ7 with AMC turbo 400. I reused the orginal starter and damaged a few teeth on the flex plate. Upon further inspection I noticed the bendix gear didn't really enage the flexplate too well. I swapped several starters for better engagement but the damage was already done.

Now a few years later I'm at a point where I need to replace the flexplate. My plan: Source flex plate and new starter from NAPA. Is there any better qualitity available? I'll pay to dollar to avoid have tear this apart again. How do avoid not having full gear to gear engagement? I recall the small spacer. I believe I installed it between the flexplate and the engine. Is that the cause of the sloppy gear engagement? Your input is needed. Thanks.

jeepsr4ever
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
PIONEER FLEXPLATES ONLY!

PumpkinCrusher
09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Awesone. NAPA's supplier is from Pioneer. Any ideas about the bendix gear to flexplate engagement?

jeepsr4ever
09-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Yes if you bought a cheapo flexplate that would pretty much sum it up.

PumpkinCrusher
09-08-2012, 12:31 PM
First flex plate came from Turner 4 WD Parts out of Georgia. Not sure who their supplier was. I chose them to make sure I got the right flex plate. I'll pick up the next one from NAPA. Should the flex plate small stiffener plate be between the crank and flex plate or the torque converter? My bendix gear never really fully engages the teeth of the flex plate and wonder if that stiffener is causing the issue?

tufcj
09-10-2012, 05:12 AM
The small plate is like a washer to keep the bolts from nicking the flex plate and creating places for cracks to form. The flex plate goes against the crank flange, then the plate and bolts.

Bob
tufcj

PumpkinCrusher
09-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you!

Bulltear Ad