PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump housing crack/pin hole

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

NMElkaholic
10-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I finally got my 79 304 CJ5 back together and all new parts installed. I thaught I had no leaks and was very happy... till I noticed a small drip coming from the oil pump housing.

Seems to be a small crack or pin hole in the casting?? an odd place for it to be leaking from. I have attached some pics to show where it is leaking.

I wiped it clean then took a few pics to show how the oil is seeping out of the cast.

What can we do about this??

Please help.

Johnny Garcia 505-553-5922

jeepsr4ever
10-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Thats a casting weep. Send it back in we will replace it.

NMElkaholic
10-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I read on the website that there was a problem with casting on these housings?? will I need new gaskets? releif valve spring? and the end that goes on it? I ordered the whole kit from ya'll. timing cover oil pump and housing mid plate etc. also ordered a matched set of dist gears. is this a commen thing? casting weep?

what do I need to send back? and where?

Thank you for your reply

Johnny G.

jeepsr4ever
10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
You will need new gaskets and a housing only. You will need to strip the housing and send it in.

NMElkaholic
10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
What address? sense it has oil in it is there anything special I need to do to ship it?

jeepsr4ever
10-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Bulltear
30405 Neal ave
Lindstrom MN 55045

NMElkaholic
10-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Thank you, I will send it out asap. I need to remove it from the jeep this weekend.

NMElkaholic
11-03-2012, 03:46 AM
I shipped it UPS on Nov 2nd. you should get it Nov. 8th

NMElkaholic
11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
just got back from a fishing trip expecting to find my oil pump here??? is there a back order?

NMElkaholic
04-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Hi, I have a question, last year I ordered a complete kit from you for my 79 cj5 304.... if you recall, I had an issue with the oil pump... it had a casting weep so I sent it back to you and you sent me out another...

It ran all summer with no issues, then i did not drive it much during the winter. I started it every other week during the winter but recently I started it to start driving it and I hear a ticking I look down at my oil pressure gauge and I have no oil pressure? (mechanical gauge) I installed a new gauge with same results.... no oil pressure?? could my oil pump be bad already??? I have only had it on the jeep 1 year. I am stumped to what happened??

any suggestions?

Johnny

jeepsr4ever
04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Pumps go bad after lot and lots of miles. Filters can go bad, lifter retainers can fail, lifters can go flat. If you had oil pressure you shouldnt blame the pump.

NMElkaholic
04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Pumps go bad after lot and lots of miles. Filters can go bad, lifter retainers can fail, lifters can go flat. If you had oil pressure you shouldnt blame the pump.

Thanx for the reply, I am not blaming the pump...just thinking out loud as to what it could be... I read that some guys have to run 20W50 in order to get descent oil pressure...is it possible to loose prime after so long?

tufcj
04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Re-prime the pump and change the filter. You can prime it by just squirting some oil into the tube that the oil pump screws onto. What brand oil filter are you using? FRAM has been known to cause some problems. It could also be the relief spring is stuck open. You might remove the plug over the relief spring and see if the relief plunger moves freely.

Bob
tufcj

NMElkaholic
04-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Re-prime the pump and change the filter. You can prime it by just squirting some oil into the tube that the oil pump screws onto. What brand oil filter are you using? FRAM has been known to cause some problems. It could also be the relief spring is stuck open. You might remove the plug over the relief spring and see if the relief plunger moves freely.

Bob
tufcj

Update..... I drained the the oil, went and picked up some 20W50 oil, and some lucas motor oil stabilizer... and new WIX filter.
disconnected the coil so it would not start... just crank... and after 4 seconds of cranking the oil pressure shot up to 65.... let it run for 20 minutes and it was sittin at 45 :)... guess I need to run the thicker oil....I am so glad that took care of it!!

Bulltear Ad