PDA

View Full Version : More issues, now with the new PM45!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ralphxj
08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
I feel like I'm constantly banging my head against the wall!! I have been fighting issues with my import plasma cutter since I got the table (I knew it would be an issue, but it was all I had). Some times it would cut great, other times, it would just stop cutting and act crazy. Never did get the THC to work with. So, I upgraded to a used PM45, and got it all wired up. When I first started testing it, I was using the old worn-out drag-cutting consumables that were on it when I got it. The first couple of tests it was firing correctly from Mach3. I figured the software/wiring was good, so I changed out the consumables for a new set (not drag tips) and since then I haven't been able to fire from Mach3. It clicks and the air starts, but no arc. If I leave the torch button on (with no arc) for a couple of seconds the THC control box keeps clicking (green light on) and the pm45 fan turns on like its cutting. The plasma still fires by hand with the new consumables installed.

I haven't even started to figure out the THC control!

What am I doing wrong?? I so want this table to work correctly all the time, and its driving me NUTS!

jeepsr4ever
08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
You bombarded the controller with EMP pulses from the first plasma. A drag tip is absolutely not correct and shouldnt let the machine fire until it is contacting the plate. Clicking means the relay is working and doing its job. You need to make sure there isnt a break in the circuit from the relay to the torch start wires in the plasma cutter. By bypassing the torch start by use of drag tip you may have damaged your PM45. I am not 100% sure on that one. You should verify that with Hypertherm secondly to checking the wiring.

ralphxj
08-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I can't catch a break!!! I'll shoot Jim a PM on Pirate and see if there is some kind of protection or reset somewhere. It still fires by hand with no problems, so not sure why it wont fire from Mach3.

jeepsr4ever
08-27-2013, 03:11 PM
If the relay is clicking Mach is firing it but the wiring from the relay to the plasma cutter may be the issue.

ralphxj
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Ok, so I did some testing, the Plasma fires if I short the 2 wires at the THC card (per Jim Colts suggestion), but when i try it through Mach3 it just keeps clicking and flashing the green light. Is there anything else I can test? The plasma works by hand, and works when fired with the trigger wires at the THC card?

jeepsr4ever
10-20-2013, 06:09 PM
If the relay is clicking its doing its job. I would look for a short between relay and plasma cutter.

jeepsr4ever
10-21-2013, 07:54 AM
It is possible the relay is bad however clicking tells me it isnt. I will see if we have another relay for you here.

ralphxj
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Its more of a buzzing with the green led flickering. It seems like its trying to open the relay, but doesn't fully open. The red torch light on the main control box is on while this happened, and it keeps doing that until I click the torch button off in Mach3.

I haven't had a chance to open everything up and see what else might be wrong with the wiring.

jeepsr4ever
10-28-2013, 07:14 AM
You may need a new relay however the outputs in the drive board gets slaughtered from continuous abuse from hi-freq. I sent you a pm and my suggestion is get the new relay. If it doesn't work your into a $250 black driver.

ralphxj
10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
I will pick up a relay. Is there anything else I can/should check to see what else might be causing the problems? I might wire the old plasma back up just to see if I'm getting the same issues (as I know it was working before) to make sure its not a plasma/wiring issue.

jeepsr4ever
10-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Like I mentioned you need to verify the wires don't have a short in them. You can test the wires by using a circuit testing lightbulb tool like you find at a home depot. What your doing is testing for continuity and that the relay actually completes the circuit. It is possible the relay went bad from all the EMP and RF issues. I know we have seen that in the past with the older system.

ralphxj
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Checked all the wires from the plasma to the the THC box, everything is good. When I manually fire the torch from the torch trigger, the correct volts appear on the main control box, so I know those are correct. If I short the torch wires at the THC box, it fires the torch.

Here is a video I shot of what the THC box is going when I try to fire the torch from Mach3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6LXMdv0XC81VXYxaDZaejl1ZWc/edit?usp=sharing

I'll get a relay ordered and see if that fixes everything up!

ralphxj
11-13-2013, 03:35 PM
No go with the new relay! :(

jeepsr4ever
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
If the relay is clicking it should be doing its job. If you take a piece of wire and cross the terminals on the relay where you put the wires for the trigger it should fire the torch. If it didnt the problem lies in the wiring between relay and where you wired the trigger wires into.

ralphxj
12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
ITS ALIVE!!!!! Swappedin a new 12v power brick and its perfect! Now to figure out the ATHC and get it to actually work with a real plasma cutter!!

jeepsr4ever
12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
From 2 years of being bombarded with hifreq noise it was only a power supply. That is extraordinary! Youll really like it now with a nice plasma cutter.

ralphxj
02-12-2014, 07:47 PM
And after 2 months of sitting, now when I try to use it today I can't get it to connect to the computer, I keep getting the message in Mach that the external e-stop is required. I'm getting a loud buzzing from the motor on the Z-axis, and the red error light is lit up on the back of the G540 regardless of how many times I press the external e-stop button.

Thoughts? Too cold? It was around 25 in the shop, but its been much colder the last 2 weeks. Wait till the temps warm up? Problem with the z-axis motor?

jeepsr4ever
02-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Something may be wrong with your wiring, meaning you installed the power supply. I am not sure why it wont start but the conditions of Estop off in Mach, Cable unplugged slightly, Estop button not on or bad motor cable. Try taking the motor cables off and see what it does.

ralphxj
02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Everything cut perfect the last time I used it after I finished all the reworking. I will unplug the z-axis and see if it seems to fix it. Also will probably wait till its warmer out!

ralphxj
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Ok, the weather has warmed up, and I found some time while the baby was sleeping to get out and look at it for a few minutes.

When I power on the control box, the red fault light is one at the back of the G540. When I hit the green e-stop button on the front the control box, the table starts to buzz like its ready to go, but the fault light is still lite, and I can't get it to connect through Mach3??

I tried to unplug the Z-axis and still got the same issue so I'm thinking its not related to the Z. I guess I need to pull the box apart and get it all checked out again! :(

jeepsr4ever
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Try unplugging all the motors then fire it up. Also if your charge pump is on you wont get it to run. You re-wired a drive so maybe a loose wire to the drive, power or ground. I also have to remind you it has been 3+ years since you got the machine and 3+ years since you promised a write up.

ralphxj
04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
I will try unplugging everything, and also check all the wiring on the Gecko!!

I have the writeup about the plasma side basically done, I just wanted to get some routing info in there as well. I have everything for the routing (bits, material, router, etc), but need to get the table running again. If I can't get anything going in the next few days, I'll have them post the writeup with the plasma info, and then update once I get the routing done.

Bulltear Ad