PDA

View Full Version : New AMC Forged crankshafts

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
08-01-2014, 01:37 PM
As some of you may know we started discussing a new forged crank (stroker and stock replacement) over 10 years ago. At the time we had alot of interest and folks ready to buck down some coin for a stroker forged crank. The idea was to make strokes and rod pin sizes in various sizes. Enough to satisfy the 95% of all AMC/Jeep folks out there. The investment was heavy and the markets were shaky. We invested in capital equipment we got a pair of vertical machining centers with 60"s of travel to add to our equipment to cover all the new ideas that would come and in our own brand of oil AMC-HD (5 years ahead of the ZDDP scare). This put the crankshaft forging out for at least 5 years. Time went on and business kept creeping up every month, every year...new equipment, new ideas, selling and trading equipment to get what we needed put the idea out even further. We built a new building and added a 10 foot bed CNC machining center and are about to add a bridge mill for new ideas. Now we are in a great position, stronger than ever we are ready to make the transition to being the first in the world to offer a forged replacment crankshaft for the AMC V8. We are looking at the forged crankshaft idea once again.

I/we would absolutely LOVE your input. Please get into our forum and tell us what you want to see, if your ready for a new forged crank or any other opinion. We have a new server and emails are working 100% so please come here and speak up.

Come here

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Thank you so much!
-Matt, Pete, Joe...and crew

Machine Head
08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
I applaud Bulltear for pursuing this piece, I think there is a market for an affordable steel crank alternative. I don't want to be negative in any way but what we really need is an affordable aftermarket block. The reality is that sourcing a good standard 401 block is now almost impossible. I am down to my last 2 401s and I baby them now. Yes there are plenty of 360 blocks to be had but frankly I would buy an LS crate motor than try to get modern power levels from a 360. The only block out there right now is Indy and it is simply out of reach for most of us. A good redesigned iron 401 tall deck block capable of 500+ inches ( I can dream about a 501 all AMC motor all day) with priority main oiling and 4 bolt caps is what AMC hobbyists clearly need the most. A new block would drive new sales in almost every category of AMC engine replacement parts. I understand the huge cost of R&D on something like that but if a vendor can put out a Pontiac block with that limited crowd there would be far more interest from the combined AMC/Jeep gang to support a new block IMO

jeepsr4ever
08-13-2014, 07:05 PM
That is where we would like to end up eventually. A block takes a little more of everything than a crank. It can be done everything is on the table within grasp. Right now crankshafts are within grasp. In 1-2 years we could be talking blocks.

mud89
08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
I am interested if you'll ship them to Europe. I have a 401, but the crank is really worn, i am not sure it's rebuildable. It would be nice also to have a source for stroker cranks, i know that K1 makes a 4'' crank with 2.1'' chevy rod journals, but it's the early flange (70-71), and i think it's a billet crank , maybe a forged one would be cheaper ?

jeepsr4ever
08-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Forged would be cheaper

captscot
10-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Just joined your site, but have purchased Bulltear items before. Glad to see your interested in wanting to manufacture AMC forged crankshafts. I recently purchased a used AMC 401 forged crank for a good price, however, would be more interested in one of your new 401 cranks. I am the original owner of my 1972 Javelin AMX with 401. Everything about the car is stock. A lot of Forum members have expressed an interest in a stroked forged crank, but I personally would be interested in a stock crank with standard size journals. In your description I believe you intend on having both stroked and stock? Please keep me posted. Thanks, Scott J

401jim
01-30-2015, 12:19 PM
As some of you may know we started discussing a new forged crank (stroker and stock replacement) over 10 years ago. At the time we had alot of interest and folks ready to buck down some coin for a stroker forged crank. The idea was to make strokes and rod pin sizes in various sizes. Enough to satisfy the 95% of all AMC/Jeep folks out there. The investment was heavy and the markets were shaky. We invested in capital equipment we got a pair of vertical machining centers with 60"s of travel to add to our equipment to cover all the new ideas that would come and in our own brand of oil AMC-HD (5 years ahead of the ZDDP scare). This put the crankshaft forging out for at least 5 years. Time went on and business kept creeping up every month, every year...new equipment, new ideas, selling and trading equipment to get what we needed put the idea out even further. We built a new building and added a 10 foot bed CNC machining center and are about to add a bridge mill for new ideas. Now we are in a great position, stronger than ever we are ready to make the transition to being the first in the world to offer a forged replacment crankshaft for the AMC V8. We are looking at the forged crankshaft idea once again.

I/we would absolutely LOVE your input. Please get into our forum and tell us what you want to see, if your ready for a new forged crank or any other opinion. We have a new server and emails are working 100% so please come here and speak up.

Come here

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Thank you so much!
-Matt, Pete, Joe...and crew

I would love to see a 4'' forged crank for the 401 blocks. This would get most of us into a better H.P. ratio game and mess with those BBC engines. Keep all of posted on this. I'm in for 2 of those beauties!!!!!!!!

Blazer296
10-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Have heard whispers of a new crank over on IFSJA for some time, and now the H beam rods showed up..........

Any chance a rotating assembly "kit" might be in the works? I missed the boat several years ago when you had the stroker kits, waiting and watching for them since.

Jim

jeepsr4ever
10-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Rods are the first step. There is a plan.

joneiara
12-18-2015, 06:59 PM
So where exactly are we in the process?

Blazer296
06-29-2016, 08:07 PM
So, its been a while............. any updates or possible time frame on another stroker crank or kit from you guys??

Bulltear Ad