PDA

View Full Version : Y axis dragging or binding

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Whiskeymike
12-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Does anyone have the procedure for adjusting the gear reduction motor drive units on the side of the gantry for the Y axis?

My Y axis is extra loud lately and I noticed that in one direction the left side lags behind maybe 1/2" then seems to catch up. Adjusting the three bolts and slightly adjusting the motor units seems to change the noise level and some of the binding, but I can't get it right and the lag seems to continue.

jeepsr4ever
12-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Somehow it was taken out of adjustment. You need to adjust it just how you did. Is the washer on the one stud holding it up?

Whiskeymike
12-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Today it got pretty cold going from 70s to the 30s so wondering if it loosened up a bit.

All three studs have washers and the washers are on the outside of the motor gear units. The two outside bolts holes are slots, so it can be angled up/down. There also seems to be a difference in noise and side to side play with how tight the nuts are.

I'm trying to figure out how you determine the right placement and how tight to make the nuts. I spent about 2 hours today adjusting it and trying different angles and levels of being tight.

What causes one side to be dragged behind(when jogging, the right side is ahead of the left side)? I thought it might be the gear and that it was slipping. But I pulled the unit off and checked the set screws and they were tight.

Whiskeymike
12-28-2015, 11:27 PM
http://youtu.be/xgR1wB88sVU

This is a quick video of what the gantry is doing.

jeepsr4ever
12-29-2015, 07:16 AM
It looks like you either have a pulley loose (should not ever be loose from factory setting) or your gear is loose. You can power up the system then grab that side and see if you can move it by hand. If you can check the big gear and see if it is loose. The other two things it could be is a loose wire on the motor plug OR a bad motor driver (usually they go out and you get no movement)

Whiskeymike
12-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Got it figured out. Turned out to be one of the wires on the A axis was lose, so I backed off the connector screw, pushed the wire in and screwed it back down making a good connection. The table itself seems to be working well now. Now I've got a torch height issue with it rising up after 2 inches in the cut to .44, but I may have the wrong consumables in there or the wrong settings. Going to take a fresh look in the morning.

jeepsr4ever
12-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Darn those little wires!

Bulltear Ad