PDA

View Full Version : loading heavy sheets of steel

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ggeh
04-01-2016, 08:48 AM
I work by my self and I'm not as strong as I use to be. Any suggestions on loading heavy sheets of steel on and off your plasma table. Has any one built a lifting jig that would mount on the table leg or an electromagnet to lift those heavy flat pieces?
Thanks, Gary

Walter
04-01-2016, 03:00 PM
I use my tractor for heavy stuff, looking to get a fork lift soon. You may look at a manual pallet stacker at northern tool. They can raise to 63" and hold 2200 lb. They are about $1k though, there are cheaper ones but the forks arnt very long. But if you want a project probably could make one cheaper especially by cutting out everything on your table.

Motoguy
04-12-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm in the same boat. I use a vertical lifting clamp, and my 2-ton engine hoist. I store the 4x8 sheets vertically on a rack, very similar to this:

I lift the sheet up, roll the rack out from under it, and roll the engine hoist over to my table. With the engine hoist chain shortened a few lengths, the plate will swing up over my table. When letting the sheet down, I have to push the bottom of the sheet away from the lift. I don't have 4' between the boom and the cylinder, so the sheet will bind it up if I pull the bottom into the hoist.

I am also making up an assembly like this, for horizontal lifting. I think it will be quite handy.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17452&hilit=Engine+hoist

jake
04-22-2016, 05:36 PM
I use a rolling gantry crane.

ggeh
04-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the explanation and the pics. excellent storage rack for the sheet steel and the chain set up for the cherry picker.
Thanks for you sharing your ideas, Gary

DirtBound
05-13-2016, 01:45 PM
We store our sheets on a pallet rack and use a forklift to move it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEjZBCJhwFI/?taken-by=dirtbound

Farmerdan
05-31-2016, 06:11 PM
I was asking myself the same question a couple years ago when I was using a forklift to change sheets. So I built a vertical storage rack, then a small bridge crane over the top of my table and the rack.
Then added a wireless remote to it. Now I can remove a sheet put it in the rack, pick another from the rack and set on the table by myself in about 2-3 minutes.

Tasibrett
08-07-2016, 03:28 PM
4 x 100kg magnets. Got plate lifters to get out of rack then lay on ground and use magnets.

jeepsr4ever
08-08-2016, 08:14 AM
That is the best use of those little magnets I have seen yet. We use two 800kg magnets on a spreader bar when we lift and load steel with one of our forklifts. One alone is untrustworthy.

Bulltear Ad