PDA

View Full Version : Are any Bulltear tables being used with High definition plasma systems?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Motoguy
07-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Just curious if you're aware of any Starlab/BT tables being used as the foundation for a High Definition plasma table. I understand the High Definition stuff is going to require different electronics (high frequency start, etc), but I'm curious of the mechanicals of the BT table are sufficient to give optimum results with HD cutting.

jeepsr4ever
07-08-2016, 08:17 AM
The machine itself qualifies and the foundation is good up to 200amps. Once we talk about 300amps plus we want to have a 2 foot deep bed to allow the beam energy to dissipate without cutting the machine in half. What they want to see if 40m-G of acceleration which is 15ips^2 acceleration in Mach (Which all Star Lab machines exceed). Hypertherm classifies our machines as light industrial and we have never had a customer ask for a Microedge control and a Hydef plasma ($45-60K). So the term High definition is a small play on words. Hypertherm owns the rights to the term Hydef as far as the plasma cutting industry goes.

High density I would say would be the keyword. So the energy density of the beam is what makes a big difference (as well as control dynamics, gas process used). So a fine cut on a powermax 65 will have a strong energy density but a small orifice forcing a small beam. A power max at 65amps using 65amp consumables but set to 50 amps will have a very low energy density through the size of the 65amp orifice. A Maxpro 200 which is high frequency and which we have integrated as well as the Autocut 200 (Thermal dynamics) are considered high density. Hypertherm has a HSD 130 and an HPR130. The HPR is what they consider Hydef and will use different gas mixtures. It uses a different style of consumables as well. Since we have not had any customer yet that actually wants to pay for the Hypertherm height control and HyDef plasma we have not integrated any of them. But we have integrated high density plasma. Pakmasters up to 150amps, Autocut 200s, Maxpro 200s....the two latter ones are more common and parts are still available. The Maxpro 200 is an amazing upgrade over the Powermax series in that you can cut from 50amps to 100 and up to 200amps of power. The pierce and consumable life are off the charts. All use plasma coolant to cool the plasma torch. Imagine 5000 pierces in 1/2 steel or the ability to cut and pierce 1.75".

Motoguy
07-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks Matt. I was exploring a bit, and looking at the RetroSystems Hornet tables. I was really surprised to see the similarities between my Starlab table, and this $$$ RetroSystems table. The linear rails, the gear/pinion drive, etc...looks very similar. I assume the vast difference in $ is due to software, control systems, and required RF shielding for HF start stuff.

The more I look into options to (eventually) expand the usage of my Starlab table, the more impressed I become with it's capabilities.

jeepsr4ever
07-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Retro Systems makes gantries that are massively wide. With that comes the requirement for a much more powerful motor to even get the minimum Milli-G of acel/decal. So now you are into very expensive drive, servos and a lot of steel to back that up. They enjoy a market where 800amps is very normal and charge a premium for it. I believe they also do some big drilling operations. One of their lead guys came to our shop and he loved what we did with the Star Lab. He said we conquered all the build issues and we should sell the Star Lab to Retro. He also said we are definitely not entry level. Hypertherm's reps also said we are definitely not entry level. We have toyed with offering a very basic entry level machine BUT after being the first one the market with a 2x2 and watching torchmate buckle and eventually liquidate their supply of smaller tables I knew that the entry level is for a company that does not offer a full package or support. I do not think the term 'budget' and 'CNC Plasma' are two that work too well together. Making the simplest of machines running on powder coated steel, 2"s of torch clearance and formed bolt together tables shipped in cardboard boxes has only ever really benefitted plasma cam. But we have replaced so many of their table from bitter owners I am surprised you don't hear that more often.

I really like our design I think it conquers many of the classic challenges in plasma automation. I am glad you are noticing the differences.

Bulltear Ad