PDA

View Full Version : powerlock vs traclock

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
01-08-2003, 08:57 PM
I have a power lock dana 70 and a track lock dana 44 and the 44 tracklock is brand new and the 70 is from the seveties the traclock sucks compared to the powerlock but they both use clutches...anyone else ever run across this??

durbs
01-23-2003, 08:54 PM
I have heard many times that Powerlock was the best from the old timers.

jeepsr4ever
01-23-2003, 10:15 PM
yeah thats what i heard but i guess only this spring will tell me..

fuzz401
01-29-2003, 02:44 PM
just go detroit locker :lol: what i have in my 44

jeepsr4ever
02-18-2003, 10:14 PM
wouldnt it be great if detroits were affordable :)

Toy Maker
02-20-2003, 06:19 AM
Hello from The Toy Maker
Powerlocks are load sensative limited slip units with minimun drag when not under power, lock up when load applied. Traclock is heavy preload unit with minimun increase of lockup with increase of torque. Powerlock was used in the older models, with the last Dana supplied used in model 70's. Parts are available for some from Dana, the rest fom selected aftermarket sources. Dana changed to the traclock due to significantly lower mfg. cost. All traclock parts are available from Dana, as are new units. New Powerlocks are available through the aftermarket. Powerlocks are significantly stronger and hold much harder, although the torque apply feature is a double edge sword. If there is no traction on one wheel, there may not be enough torque to apply the powerlock to suppply power to the other wheel. In this case, a light application of the brakes can substitute for traction, requiring torque to overcome brakes, applying Powerlock.
I am one of those oldtimers, have been into Jeeps for over 25 years. I have a shop in Tallahassee, Florida, where I do custon vehicle work (Toy Making), with emphasis on performance, chassis, and driveline work. Enjoy your site.

jeepsr4ever
02-20-2003, 08:17 AM
good info toymaker thanks for joining and WELCOME ABOARD!! :D

Mudrat
03-16-2003, 06:06 PM
COOL BEANS! Hello Toymaker!
I've been 'toying' with the idea of a locker of some type, but then I'm looking to swap up in axles so really don't want to spend $$$ on something I'll be changing in a few months. Do you have a website we can visit to see what you've got going on?

And to be honest when I saw "Toymaker" I was thinking you made kids toys not Big Kid TOYS :lol:

Mudrat

Toy Maker
03-17-2003, 05:47 AM
Sorry, I do not have a web site at this time- can not justify the increased overhead. However, if the "Attachment " function on this board was activated (hint-hint), I could post some pics of what I am doing.

I usually call it Adult Toys, but that gets its own share of confusion. :shock:

Mudrat
03-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Thanks, if you want I can be e-mailed at mudrat@therange.com.

Pat

durbs
03-25-2003, 08:51 AM
MMM took apart a dana 44 i had in a jeep i was parting out and it had a Powr-Lok so I put that in my Flatfender project. Now I need something for the front though...

TRACTOR
04-11-2003, 09:06 AM
:twisted: Powerlock all the way!

Dusty
05-04-2004, 12:17 PM
This might be an old subject but im going to throw my .02 in on Ploks.

They Rock

You can stack the clutch packs with additional curved clutches to increase preload.

Inner clutches are without ears, outers are with. there are 2 inners and three outers per side. I-O-I-O-I

Typical rebuild kits come with 2 inner curves, a HD kit comes with four inner curves. Old kits were better equipt from Dana, the older kits came with outer and inner curved clutches. If you find a PLok with a curved steel outer clutch in the pak that isn't cut/scared, only has mild scuffs, mainly friction points I wouldnt hesitate to throw it in with new cltuches to get the additional preload.

I have heard of guys going with 11 clutches instead of the 10 to increase preload to a better full locked performance. I've never done it. I currently run 6 curves & 4 flat outers in my D44 front and 6 curves & 4 flat outers in my D60 rear. After 5 years of Fordyce and Rubicon, plus snow wheeling in Montana where i lived, and pavement mischief, they are getting a little loose, i occasionally have to tap the brake in tight spots and preload the Plok so it is locked then i have 0 problems.

I changed from a Detroit Rear to the Plok because the ratcheting of the Detroit in tight spots kept shifting the rear tires unpredictably, i hated the way i would be mid turn in a tight spot and the rear would ratchet and move my tire line into a worse spot. The Plok seems to absorb the turns when not under power and then has good lock up characteristics for climbing once engaded.

The new D60 kits come with friction material modified plates instead of the old steal ones. A couple of guys i know are taking new flat outer clutches and pressing a curve for preload into disk's center section, good results.

D80's for dodge from 1994-97/98 had a rare optional Power Lok most are a bolttogether knock off Plok w/o the cross shaft ramping action, they are a look alike but are really a Trac Lok.

A D70HD case works in a D80, modify the ring gear bolt holes to the right size. D60 and D70, D70HD all use the same clutches, also D70 35 spline side gears and buckets fit into the D60 Plok so changing spline count is easy and Cheap $100-150.

I also run Ploks front and rear on my Ford with the cummins conversion. D60 Front, D80 rear. since it was for highway driving on ice and towing mainly i opted for 2 curves in the D60 Plok and 7 in the D80. It was a good compromise i get excellent lock up F&R with the Rear staying tight even when under load with a trailer. Oh yeah i ditched my D80 detroit after it shattered its guts while pulling a 30k lbs trailer and turning.

Dusty

jeepsr4ever
05-04-2004, 03:19 PM
yeah the powerlock really rocked over the track lock...unreal it was

Bulltear Ad