PDA

View Full Version : Wanted

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
03-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey gang,
I have run into a bit of a snag trying to reassemble my steering shaft. I have the stock steering shaft assembly; BUT at the coupling to the new AGR power steering unit where the shaft inserts into the cup on the steering gear I'm missing those two small square blocks that fit on the cross rod on the steering shaft. I've been through every bag and box of removed parts and can't find'm.

Anybody have some laying around they want to part with?

If my measurements are right they are (in inches) .65W x .65L x.6H and have a pocket centered to fit the cross rod. The rod for the pocket measures .4 diam x.4 deep. Probably need a couple 1/1000 to fit with grease in there. The outter edges are rounded where the base - the pocket side - are flat.

Thanks
Mudrat

fuzz401
03-14-2003, 06:06 PM
what year jeep ?? I think mine just has 2 splined slip joints is yours a rag joint ?

Mudrat
03-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey Fuzz
It's an 85 CJ with the "solid" intermediate shaft. The ‘slip’ joint has 2 plastic pins holding the square upper and lower shafts together. The upper u-joint isn’t greasable and the lower part fits into a cup. The upper u-joint and the cup are both splined to fit the respective output shafts – steering column and the AGR power steering box. It’s the 2 pads that fit on the cross bar of the lower intermediate shaft to cup that I need. It’s a weird setup, but it’s stock. I’d love to get one of the Borgson deals, but until I find an income, $260 is not an option.

Jeep on a budget? Whod’a thought :lol:

Pat

Toy Maker
03-15-2003, 06:29 AM
I have access to a kit including the blocks you need plus the socket they fit in and misc. peices to repair the shaft you have that I can sell,but with freight two ways, it's high. On new oem style complete shaft asm, I can sell one for $115 plus freight and tax. For a heavy duty (Borgeson knock off less replaceable joints) replacement, I can sell one for $140 plus plus. For the coupler kit, you can get one under p/n 998710K from 4wd Hardware at (800) 333-5535

Remember: its spelled with a J, not CH

Mudrat
03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks Toymaker,
The shaft and cup are still in good shape and the 2 pads probably are too - wherever they are :cry: I think I'll try and have a friend machine a couple and see how they work. I want it safe, but $115+ for a whole shaft is a bit steep for 2 little metal parts, don't ya think?

Mudrat

Toy Maker
03-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Replacing the whole thing for two peices is rough, that's why I mentioned the coupler kit, it should be much cheeper.

Mudrat
03-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Again much thanks TM.
I ordered the kit today - $44.14 with shipping! The picture they have for that part number looks like it's for the tie rods and left hub assy, but the write up was for the steering?!?!?

Oh, well what's a few more nickles and dimes?

Mudrat

Mudrat
03-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Well got the coupling kit today and it was missing the coupling ring and bolt. So I called 4WDH @ about 1PM and they are shipping a whole new kit as a replacement FedEx overnight. How great is that for customer support!
http://www.4wd.com/default1.asp I'll deal with'm again.

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
03-21-2003, 10:00 AM
yeah those guys over there arent bad at all, i call the 800 number then say ooops i called the wrong number can you switch me over to tech, that way the phone call is free.............LOL dont tell anyone

Bulltear Ad