PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmissions?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Trusty258
03-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Ok, For starters, All the Eagles Ive got are automatics, all of em are Chrysler 998s (all but the same as 999s used in Jeeps) Anyone wheel reasonably heavily with one? My two buddies have Sticks, and I am Looking to be the Oddball of the crew, Just because I have a decent supply of the automatics and beesides, Im planning on building the Rig with plans to have a stick shift be an option. So if I dont like it, I'll swap it.

So!- How well do they hold up offroad? do they get overheated or die from ingesting water......?

What are your tricks for making them work for off camber and deep water crossings, other than Leaving em at home and driving a stick.

Understand my options here, 258 AMC 998/999-Dana 300 in a scout chassis or 258 T150 Dana/Spicer 20 in the same chassis. I cant afford the Np435-Dana300 that I really want

I doubt seriously that I will cross water deeper than skid pan depth, but I want to err on the side of caution.

Thanks
Jesse

Toy Maker
03-19-2003, 06:15 AM
98 trans vents through the front pump into the bellhousing. They will take in water pretty easily, and do not tolerate it. However, the vent hole can be plugged in the pump housing, and a new vent drilled and tapped in the case for a fitting and hose, to be run up as high as possible with a vent cap. Best done with trans disasembled for cleaning, can be done assembled with care.
Adding large cooler with running through rad will suffice if geared properly.
Aviod T150 if possible, be aware model 20 and 300 do not have the same low range ratio. Twin stick is good with either.
For your eagles, it probably has a NP219 case, which can be converted to NP228 or NP229 with 2X4 and low range while retaining full time capability.

jeepsr4ever
03-19-2003, 08:33 AM
I agree with toy, Fix that vent problem.........ive roached many 727's not doing the vent

Mudrat
03-19-2003, 04:06 PM
OOOhhhhhh
My next project is the 258 with Auto 998 (In an 87 Jeep of course). Good info to remember since I'll have it apart I can do the vent line.

Hey Jeeps - needed to buy a burger and fries?
"AWW dang my funds got garnished"

Mudrat

Trusty258
03-19-2003, 08:28 PM
The Eagles Have a Singel speed Transfer case essentially a New Process 219 229 or 228 locked into open hihg range, They are aluminum cased chain driven with a differential Open for the 128 and Viscous coupled for the 119 and 129. The 119 is a full time all the time unit. The 129 and 128s have a provision for 2wd and Can be shifted between 2wd and 4x4.
They use a 23 spline input shaft like the Dana 300, and have a similar bolt pattern, thought I could guess the Clocking is different.
Thats probably more than you ever needed or wanted to know about AMC eagle Transfer cases.

Anyways, I jsut dont want to fill em full of water and cook em.
So where is a good place to stick a new vent? Got any pictures?

Jesse

Toy Maker
03-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Thats right, the 219 was the NP replacement for the BW Quadratrack in the full size wagoneers and trucks for '80 & '81, I think. They still said Quadratrack on the fenders. 229 came in '83. The 118 & 119 were different front case halves with the low range parts left out. In the mid 80's I peiced together 8 Eagles with G Wagoneer shifters and convererted them to 229's for export. Great off-the-line.

Trusty258
03-20-2003, 10:12 PM
It looksed to me like the Front case halves are/were the same for the 1xxs and the 2xxs, jsut missing the low range planetary sets and the range shifter, there is a lot of empty space in there.

Anyways, Thats wHat Id eventually like to do, put a Low range Np case into An Eagle, 229, 219, 242 or 231. hog out the frnderwells, and slap the 30-9.50 mud brutes to it and go play.

Anyways, Are there any good writeups on how to plug off the vent and where to put the new vent?

Thanks
Jesse

Toy Maker
03-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Yes, I think the halves are probably the same castings, just not fully machined. At least, the early ones I worked on, possibly the later ones were all the same. Would make sense.
Not aware of any articles on vents, just what has been done by some of us locally. Examine a bare case from the inside, find the highest place toward the front that will not interfere with the guts that is exposed to the least splash from rotating parts. A small shield welded around the hole will help. Have not done this myself, have seen several from Dodge tranny builder, so going on what they say. I have relocated the vent to the top of the extention housing many years ago with success with minnimun effort, but this would not be good for anything but flat level ground.

Trusty258
03-21-2003, 05:51 PM
So, Is the Vent inside the bellhousing jsut a vent/breather or is is some sort of little flapper valve- what Im getting at is, would it be possible to bore a hole in the top of the bellhousing and run a line from the vent to where ever, or is there not enought room behind the torque converter?

Thanks
Jesse

jeepsr4ever
03-21-2003, 06:14 PM
The vent is at the top of the pump cover it is just a litle hole behind the torque converter its about 1/4" in diameter, i dont suggest tapping it as chips could get in the pump and in the tranny, I use a tight fitting hose and glue it in place with gaskacinch and run it out the bellhousing, run it basically strait up as not to interfere with the converter, its really not that bad, just drill a hole and run a clear tube.......

Trusty258
03-21-2003, 09:46 PM
do you suppose that some kind of small Barbed Plastic, steel or brass 90* nipple could be jammed into the vent, and attached to a tube? Havent been inside of any automatics- so Ive got a pile o' questions.

Jesse

jeepsr4ever
03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
i suppose it could but would it seal, its really not that hard to get a line glued in there

Trusty258
03-22-2003, 03:06 PM
do you mean gluning some kind of steel/ hard plastic (airbrake) line into the hose or are you talking about Fuel/vauume line? Also, what is this Gaskacinch? Like JBweld? Or is it some kind of mettalic epoxy?

Thanks
Jesse

jeepsr4ever
03-22-2003, 03:08 PM
i suppose jb weld would work if you make it soft, i mean a rubber or clear plastic line, you dont need a steel one..........gosh i wish i had pictures

Trusty258
03-25-2003, 07:34 PM
I dont mean to be a pest but can you be a little more specific about the type of tubing to use?

Jesse

jeepsr4ever
03-26-2003, 11:36 AM
jesse just go down to your local parts store or hardware and pickup some clear hose that will fit in the hole, then jb weld it in place

Trusty258
03-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Thats what I was looking for. I havent got an engine separated from ta slushbox yet, I jsut have this plan developing in my head, 258 TF998 D300 in a scout chassis, so Im asking questions relating to my plans, and I want to beable to cross water with it. If the auto doesnt work I'll bite the bullet and go T150 and Dana20.

Thanks!
Jesse

Toy Maker
03-27-2003, 06:20 AM
If there is a bullet to be bitten, suggest you consider steping up to a TH400 and have something worth having. Stronger more durable unit, longer case allowing longer front shaft for better drive shaft angles, has external vent already. Can be used with 20 or 300 with appropriate adapter.

Trusty258
03-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Ive never seen an AMC Th400, and doubt that I would have enough power to warrant the use of it. THe biggest AMC mill that IVe got acess to is a 304- and I havent the interest in it to put it in an offroad vehicle. I've got a lot of faith in the 6s and personally Id rather have one- Just so I can harass my buddies whove got the V8s :P . I have conemplated adapting a Th350 and D300 to an AMC plant. I think that would be a good combo- But to tell you the truth, If I spring for a big adapter kit, Im going to spend the money on a Novak Dana 300 adapter kit for the Ford NP435.
But while Im on the adaption subject;
My other thought was to get a Dodge Np435 (with the deep gear) and a Transfer, and a Ford NP435 Input, Yeilding a great gearbox witha good transfer that has the correct drop, and plenty of reduction for what I plan on doing.

Jesse

Bulltear Ad