PDA

View Full Version : fuel injected dodge.......err amc

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
04-01-2003, 05:06 PM
holy cows i saw a 318 intake (fuel injection) on a 360 last weekend, i heard about these but never saw one...........VERY COOL, anyone else seeen one of these?

TRACTOR
04-11-2003, 09:12 AM
:?: tss, NO. Duuuh!

jeepsr4ever
04-11-2003, 04:15 PM
hey Tractor lets have a few, bonfire tonight and sunday is holy drunk day........ok

78304CJ-7
09-16-2003, 05:58 PM
You know I was talking to a guy just yesterday that was talking about that and I thought for sure he was talking about the mopar kit for the 258, and he swore it was the for AMC v-8 I thought he was BS'ing me. Do you know anything more about it. Was it just a modified mopar manifold or what?

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
09-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah its true a 318-360 chrysler manifold will fit a AMCV8 with a mod plate, i will be looking hard into that one.

78304CJ-7
09-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Ok.... if you find anything E-mail me ASAP otherwise I am looking at getting an INDY MPFI manifold and doing the rest of it on my own. All I need is the throttle body, manifold and injetors. I can do the rest on my own.

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
09-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Dang 78 wish i had time to look for you.

Lifted79CJ7
12-14-2003, 07:33 PM
So 78 or MC, did you guys ever find anything out about this swap? Fuel injection would rock! Esp if I could get most the parts for cheap from the You Wrench It junk yard! :lo1l:
Jack

SFriend
12-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Hi. First, I would like to introduce myself since I am new to this list.

I am Steve Friend. Not in anyway new to the Jeep world. I own a highly modified '79 CJ7.

I am really interested in this post about fitting FI onto the 360. And, we need to figure out if it can be made Kalifornia smog legal.

Thanks

SFriend
12-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Boy, someone posts a great idea, gets a bunch of interest and then just lets it lay? What happened here? 111!!!

jeepsr4ever
12-18-2003, 09:54 PM
LOL>..Steve can post some Cali requirements that would help...also when i have time i will be making adaptor plates for this setup :?

SFriend
12-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I think it would have to go the other way. I would have to know what this entailed and then see what a referee would have to say. Just some idea of the components etc. Hell, I really don't know, but at least that would be a start. I am sure that if I just posted my smog requirements, that would not be enough.

jeepsr4ever
12-18-2003, 10:07 PM
I have built port injection manifolds before but not built for smog so i dont know the requirements.BUT

Edelbrock is offering a portinjection smog legal intake in feb and we are doing a 5% over cost for forum members if thats something your interested in... I dont know if i will ever build another manifold for street after edelbrock does.

SFriend
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
I would be very interested. I have tried to get info out of Edelbrock on this and it is like pulling teeth.

jeepsr4ever
12-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Steve your not kidding, edelbrock is very very tight with the info on these two items, i guess they need their sales staff to work it first..i havent even seen a pricing list yet..........But i cant friggin wait :?

SFriend
12-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Maybe, with Edelbrock finally getting into the spirit of things, others will too. I know for sure that I will never bend to the Holly product again. And If I get stuck on the trail with Edelbrock, I would not be a happy camper.

jeepsr4ever
12-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Ilike your 7 Steve!! looks great nice clearance job on the 60! I have done work for parker and offered them several million dollar jobs which they wouldnt even quote unless i had the credit....LOL ohh well they make some great stuff :idea:

SFriend
12-18-2003, 10:37 PM
I have worked with them for a long time. They can be pretty tough.

Thanks on the CJ. It will never be done, but it certainly works. The shaved 60 was an idea that panned out. I have lots of them, some are in the trash.

jeepsr4ever
12-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Let us know if you have a idea you are willing to share and develope

Lifted79CJ7
12-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Hey Steve, glad to see you joined the dark side! So from what you saw MC, it was just an adapter plate to bolt it up to the block? I guess we are all wondering what all sensors are involved with putting this thing together. I also wonder if it can be upgraded to run a 401, healthily. Did you notice any of the sensors, etc when you took a glance at it MC? Any ideas on where to start looking on the web today? I am bored and would liove an asignment. I'll post what I find for everyone.
Jack (from the Jeep-L)

jeepsr4ever
12-19-2003, 12:22 PM
i guess where i would start it trying to find the specs on magnum heads used in 360's and 318's....i think dodge actually shit-canned the 360 in favor of the hemi....345hp it says ...feels like 200hp (mudrat dont be mad 8) ) I have the specs on AMC heads so i can go from there but i dont have the specs on 318 heads so i dont know how to make an adaptor,,..they are very very close though i do know that..I may be able to scrore a engine this weekend, but all my stands are taken up by AMC V8's at the moment..Look for specs if oyu can

SFriend
12-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Man, look at the rif raft that shows up when the door is open :wink:

I think there is/are enough folks around that want this that maybe we can make a dent in the suppliers attitudes.

RandyJ
12-20-2003, 06:21 AM
:-| Hmmm, lots of rif raf showing up looking for MPFI for AMCs' :hathat37: Though I am running a little old 304 :wink:

Hi guys :lo1l:

jeepsr4ever
12-20-2003, 11:00 AM
:mrgreen:

Mudrat
01-07-2004, 05:56 AM
i guess where i would start it trying to find the specs on magnum heads used in 360's and 318's....i think dodge actually shit-canned the 360 in favor of the hemi....345hp it says ...feels like 200hp (mudrat dont be mad 8) ) I have the specs on AMC heads so i can go from there but i dont have the specs on 318 heads so i dont know how to make an adaptor,,..they are very very close though i do know that..I may be able to scrore a engine this weekend, but all my stands are taken up by AMC V8's at the moment..Look for specs if oyu can
Well just tooling back thru some of the interesting posts to see what happened when - (you know MC, just wasting time at work 8) back at ya bro :wink: ) But the comment on the hemi, now that was low :shock: it pulls well, accelerates "nicely" and since putting the K&N Filter Charger on there it sounds awsome -even the kids like it!! Can't do the header thing yet 'cause the warranty, so I'm open to suggestions that won't put me in hack with my shop guys.
OBTW gas milage is up between -8 and +3 MPG, depends on how close my foot is to the floorboard (AND FOR HOW LONG :? :? :? ) Besides this is to tow the two Jeeps I have (or will have) running :t:

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
01-07-2004, 07:32 AM
no disrespect Mudrat, but They do pull well i just dont feel 345 ponies coming through..I would love to chassis dyno a hemi truck or durango. I wonder if the driveline eats up alot

Mudrat
01-07-2004, 02:42 PM
no disrespect Mudrat, but They do pull well i just dont feel 345 ponies coming through..I would love to chassis dyno a hemi truck or durango. I wonder if the driveline eats up alot
Since you mentioned that, I've been thinking of taking it down to the local dyno and seeing. I've got one only 5 miles away, just don't know the $$$. That would give me a chance to get more from the $tealership on false advertizing - or (not-so) free confirmation of the Dodge claim :lo1l:
Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
yeah remember 345 was prolly at the crank

Mudrat
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
yeah remember 345 was prolly at the crank
Yeah, when I get a chance ($$ ?) I'll see what's going on at the tred end of the 265R70x17's

'Rat

jeepsr4ever
01-08-2004, 11:19 AM
hey randy :compress:

Lifted79CJ7
01-25-2004, 03:51 PM
OK, keep an eye here and maybe something will pop up:

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/v8/5363.html

I will see what else I can come up with,
Jack

CJ360V8
05-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, I was just looking back through some old stuff that was here before I got here. I ran across this post. Dude, all I can say is a MPI kit that's cheaper than the Edelbrock. Everyone I talk to says to get a Throttle Body off a Chevy and do that, but I'm not interested in throttle body. I want some port injection. HAs anyone found out anything about this? Are there any aftermarket intakes for the 318 or 360 that would make better low end power than the stocks that I could use. I'm just bumping this back up to the top to get some more info on all this, because it would totally rock!

-Pat-

Lifted79CJ7
05-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Pat, is there THAT big of a difference in MPI vs ThrottleBody? I mean, yes there is, but by the time you are done with all the parts, welding of the manifold, etc, you are still gonna be in the hole quite a few $$. Then again, if you have all the tools and a nice cheap jumkyard laying around, you might be able to do it cheaply. Check out this site:

This guy sells this kit for $900:
http://www.customefis.com/jeepgwfi.html
http://www.customefis.com/images/gw3.jpg

And MPI for $1600:
http://www.customefis.com/portefi.html
http://members.cox.net/smallville2/amcport1.jpg

I am sure that we can figure out the parts to make either a MPI of ThrottleBody kit if we really put our heads together for a hell of a lot cheaper! I am still VERY interested in making one of these kits at home for as little money as possible from junkyard parts and creating a page to show others how to do it.

I guess my biggest question is really gonna be, how much HP, torque, or reliability are we really gonna gain by going MPI vs just the standard throttle body? :-| MC? Fuzz? Mud? Anyone care to chime in here????

Jack
edit: Jack-I rehosted that MONGO oic for you

FSJnovice
05-31-2004, 01:06 PM
I would be very interested in this if it pans out.

Mudrat
05-31-2004, 04:35 PM
Pat, is there THAT big of a difference in MPI vs ThrottleBody? I mean, yes there is, but by the time you are done with all the parts, welding of the manifold, etc, you are still gonna be in the hole quite a few $$. Then again, if you have all the tools and a nice cheap jumkyard laying around, you might be able to do it cheaply. Check out this site:
Jack
Jack, please resize to fit in a smaller window (2.25 inches or the equivilent pixles)

Thanks
Mud the mod

Lifted79CJ7
05-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Uhhh, how do I do that? I just used the link to the other guys page that he was using for his site. Please teach me oh wise one!!!
Jack

Mudrat
05-31-2004, 07:08 PM
If you linked off his page then he has to resize it, there's nothing you can do other than rehost the picture somewhere.

mudrat

jaber
08-25-2004, 08:14 AM
I got one of the TBI systems from CustomEFIS. The nice part about it is he garentees ALL the parts for the first year and is available for questions and troubleshooting.From what I understand(new to fuel injection) is that programing the chip is the hardest part. CustomEFIs also does the chip only or any partial kit you may be looking for. So far, this kit was a breese to install, the hardest part was dropping the exhaust to instal the O2 sensor and I did all the work myself in a couple of days. I put it on a new rebuild and only have about 20 miles on it(waiting for windsheild) but the unit fires right up and seems to respond very nicely.When I get it on the hyway I'll post more but for me I like it. Just my .02.

PS. the parts are easy to get because they are off a production truck( Chevy K2500 I think) and you can fine tune it with a laptop.

Lifted79CJ7
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info Jaber! So what engine did you put it on and what HP range are you running?

jaber
08-25-2004, 01:37 PM
I took a '78 360 bored .030 over, crank went .010 under. I went with a mild RV cam( Crane 260H grind) and basicly new everything. I live out in the country so I dont have access to the equip to rate it yet and like I said, Ive only got 20 dirt ( under 35 MPH) miles on it. I put a new timing cover on it and with the intake valley oil mod, I'm getting 60 + PSI at an idle.

I was impressed with the service I got and am looking forward to getting the MPFI unit for the next one I build.

I'll post more when I have it.

kjax
07-07-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/ms2/pcb.htm

Still thinking of doing multiport, but a rebuilt TBI would probably suffice. Other things to spend money on.

Holeshot
08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
... the guys on "Trucks" said that the new HEMI's
bottom end can only hold around 400HP!!!

That would make a good toilet, or boat anchor!!!

Or, could use it for a starter on my mildly built
550HP 401 (850 with 300HP NOS)

To hell with the hemis!!!

Overrated marketing gimmick, anyway.

Mudrat
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
... the guys on "Trucks" said that the new HEMI's
bottom end can only hold around 400HP!!!

That would make a good toilet, or boat anchor!!!

Or, could use it for a starter on my mildly built
550HP 401 (850 with 300HP NOS)

To hell with the hemis!!!

Overrated marketing gimmick, anyway.
Got a Hemi in an HD2500 truck - power is great, mileage ... well.l.l.l.l. pulls what I've needed to so far... :t: And at stock 365 HP 340 torqe I still want a little more for towing .... 111!!!

OBTW, I'm not stock ...

Pat
edit: Should have been in the 300's not 200's for torq & HP :roll:

Dusty
08-19-2005, 09:18 AM
My understanding was it wasnt the bttom end that was the issue it is the pistons. i could be wrong though. funny the D in DC has found alot of ways to cut corners and chise up good mopar motors, drivetrain and ideas

Goose
08-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Sad but true.. Daimler has been screwing things up in the auto /truck world for some time now.. Great styling.. good looking vehicles.. poor execution. (Jeep liberty? Gaaaak) and since they bought frieghtliner and western star And Sterling trucks (class 8) and they bought Penske Detroit diesel.. They have monopolized the market., People are waiting 6 months for Heads and other parts for Detroit Diesels and the prices.. man, Someone srewed up when they allowed Mersedes to buy all these american companies and then lump them together.. They now control 70% of the trucks that move the nations economy.. nad they are a German company..

Mudrat
08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
WOW!!! Didn't know all that. Sure sneaks up on ya :shock: Wonder if the Government had a hand in this?? :-|

Dusty
08-20-2005, 09:56 PM
that extra 5 or 10k for a kenworth or pete with a cummins or a CAT ios worth everypenny, the savings in fuel aint worth the down time. time and again companies who control the whole market are the worst to deal with when you really need something.

Conspiracy therory all over again. unfortunately pat i worry your sarcasm isnt far off mark

shawn
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Wow has this gone OFF TOPIC. So, what about that dodge injection to an AMC?

Lifted79CJ7
08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
I have boogers that talk.

:mrgreen:

I heard about after D bought C, they had a meeting and all of the C exec's where picked up in a van while all the D guys showed up in limo's. Apperently the C guys got pretty upset, needless to say!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

plasticboob
11-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Hey, any updates on this? It sounds sweet, but I guess too good to be true? hehe :smile:

Oh yeah, I have boogers that STALK! :splat:

shawn
11-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I guess I dont' get it, everbody seems to purposely keep this off topic. I sure would like to know more about this though.

jeepsr4ever
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
It appears to just be a late nineties intake with spacers for the AMC heads. We have the ports mapped out so we need to get that intake in here and take a closer look for the adaptors. Their are thousands of these in J-yards all over america is would be a great swap for engines 400hp and under :!:

shawn
11-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Heck yay it would! I would get some adapters. I love the EFI on my 98 ZJ 5.2, it's a good system.

Lifted79CJ7
11-26-2005, 12:10 PM
It appears to just be a late nineties intake with spacers for the AMC heads. We have the ports mapped out so we need to get that intake in here and take a closer look for the adaptors. Their are thousands of these in J-yards all over america is would be a great swap for engines 400hp and under :!:

DO IT!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

Bulltear Ad