PDA

View Full Version : axel lubrication complication

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

TRACTOR
05-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Some guy told me that you should never have to change differential fluids.
This goes against what was taught. Does anyone else believe in primin' the pumpkin? Or is this a mixed issue?

Toy Maker
05-02-2003, 01:32 PM
If using organic gear lube, it should be changed every 25-30k of street driving, more often if exposed to severe usage or moisture. It will break down under normal usage and or time. Most synthetic lubes are similar in life expectancy. Amsoil brand synthetic lube is avaliable in upgraded version called series 2000, which is lifetime fill for most street light duty uses, although under severe usage or exposure to contaminants, it should be changed at 30 to 50k or when contaminated. Amsoil offers chemical testing for all oils, so if the oil tests ok, it can be used indefinately. It is preferable to change any lube shortly after major repair or overhaul to remove residue or break-in particles- about 1500 miles on street driven, less for severe use, after at least 200 miles of driving,or equivelent hours. With cheep gearsets, you may need to break in the gears with organic lube, then change to synthetic, as some cheep gears require high temp. of innitial operation to work harden the gear tooth faces, whereas the greater lubrication of the synthetic will not acheive these high temps.
I use Amsoil products in everything I own and work on exclusively.

Bulltear Ad