PDA

View Full Version : T150s Together!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Trusty258
06-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Well, I finally got it together, I have some small concern,s about the reverse idler, in that it went in fairly tightly.
I purchased the reverse idler from 4WD Hardware, knowing that everyone else (including them) used Crown Automotive parts as far as this shaft is concerned.
When I recieved it on tuesday (I think) June 17 2003- i was so excited, I didnt even open the baggie that it was in. I played with it a little wednesday but other than looking at how it all went together, I didnt do anything with it, So this AM I went downstairs and tried to just push it in like I had with the Cluster shaft. No go. I try to push the idler gear onto it. it goes in maybe 5/8ths of an inch. ok. its time to go to work. So I pack it up and take it with me to school/work. after school, (ive been thinking about it all day) I take it in and take some emery paper to the bushings to try to get it to loosen up. No go. So i measure the shaft -3/4 inch. not super precise, so I have my buddy verify, he says by his eye and his caliper its 3/4. the holes are 3/4 I attempt to gently drive the shaft into the gearbox. One is obviously too big or too small. so i get a small flapper wheel and a Die grinder and open up the holes- and open the bushings A smidge. at this time the building shuts down, and I leave with it to go home.

I thake it home, having left with the gear being able to spin (a little tighter than i would have liked but i can spin it by hand. So, I drive the shaft in, seems to take too much effort, but in it goes, and then I spin the transmission in gear, there was always some resistance, but now its significant. so Im a little concerned now, I can turn it by hand, but not easily. So, here is my dilemma, i have a gearbox that I got for free and only bought the reverse idler shaft, (10.00$) that seems to take too much effort to spin, and I dont think i can get the reverse Idler shaft out to turn it down .001-.005 inch without boring a hole in the front of the case (which Im not totally above doing)- Anyway, should I worry about it frying the bushings, or throw it behind a 258 and let it wear in? Whew. thats kinda long.

Thanks
Jesse

Trusty258
06-20-2003, 04:57 PM
I'll just run it. It seems to have gotten better once some lube had had some time to soak in.

Jesse

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2003, 06:05 PM
congrats jesse!!

fuzz401
06-22-2003, 06:28 PM
way to go they can be on the snug side some times had to use a hammer to get them in aready

Trusty258
06-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Yeah I was glad when i got it together, Now I just need to get a Jeep to put it in :roll:

Jesse

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2003, 06:58 PM
i got a 83 cj7 258 t4 (bad) dana 300 amc 20 (widetrack) dana 30 front 4:10's for $1400 this week, its very rusty though

Trusty258
06-23-2003, 06:10 AM
that jeep is out of my ranges in two ways; I have a minisule budget, and distance wise. Im in maine.

Jesse

Bulltear Ad