PDA

View Full Version : Trac Arms

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
07-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Question for y'all, are the front and rear track arms in an 87 Wrangler really needed :?: I just put in a 4" lift and reversed the front springs (FRS kit) in Erin's Jeep and when I tried to get the track arms back in (with the adaptor from Rancho) the axle is offset to the passenger side enough that the springs are canted about 5 degrees - and I know that ain't good.
My 85 doesn't have track arms so I'm wondering why and if they are needed in the 87.

Also if somebody has a suggestion on torsion bar quick disconnects, I'm open to product reviews or comments. :lol:

Thanks

Mudrat

Toy Maker
07-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Trac bar, also known as a Panhard Rod, is a latteral locating link to stabilize the body over the axle. It resists the sideways forces of the body movement and the steering. The factory Wrangler springs and bushings are relatively soft, allowing for considerable movement if the trac bar is removed. On highway drivability will be decreased with increased sway and vagueness/wander to the steering. Brake steer may also be introduced, as well as bump steer. However, if the geometry of the trac bar is not correct, it can introduce its own set of problems in a lifted vehicle. Low speed, offroad handeling is less compromised than on road, and articulation can be improved in vehicles without the trac bar.
If by spring reverse, you mean you moved the shackles to the rear, that will help offset the loss of the trac bar to some degree. Make sure you have LOTS of travel to the front driveshaft slip yoke for compression. It will bottom out MUCH easier with the reversal.

Mudrat
07-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks TM, so THAT's what a Panhard Rod is!! :o
This is the 4" Rancho kit with poly bushings replacing the stock springs and rubber. So I think I'll pop off the trac bar and first- see how it drives and 2nd - see if my springs are still canted.
To get the front one in I had to use the high-lift jack and bring the left front tire off the ground about 8" with a jack stand under the passenger frame rail. Geez that was a pain!!

Thanks,
Musdrat

Bulltear Ad