PDA

View Full Version : the timeless timing cover oil pump debate SOLVED!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
09-09-2003, 08:02 PM
http://www.imgbay.com/sites/jeepsr4ever///bulltear20006.jpg

AND THE PUMP!!!!!!!!

http://www.imgbay.com/sites/jeepsr4ever///bulltear20008.jpg

1QwikAMC
09-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Under $200 for silver paint ???? You ARE kidding here right ?? Sorry, I don't buy it

edited by jeepsr4ever for content violation 2nd warning

jeepsr4ever
09-10-2003, 08:09 PM
1Quick ask rotorhead he has one of my covers! silver paint........nope a special coating that is 58-62 on the rockwell scale......I never bullshit about AMC....... dont believe this wait till you see my high flow oil pump gears.

jeepsr4ever
09-15-2003, 02:59 PM
first thing is to take the greasy cover and get it cleaned with TRI-CLORO the reason this is done is to remove any oil on the surface and to penetrate the casting and remove any oil or grease embedded in teh casting itself.

bead blast the covermake sure to get all gasket and paint off BE CAREFULL HERE you need to use fine media and be thorough you can hit the threaded hole lightly.

Ge the cover plated with nickle WITHOUT THE PROPER CLEANING and thats with tri-cloro the nickle will not adhere, this coating is 58-62rc and many many times harder than aluminum. Many guys have tried this in the past with ZERO success, it is all in the cleaning and make sure to mic the holes and tell the plater to build it up. MORE INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW

jeepsr4ever
09-15-2003, 03:05 PM
So you have the cover plated now with nickle and it looks like to top picture, You need to match the gears to the holes. The wear over the years will lead to elliptical holes but with the right gear matching the tolerances will be better than normal. I used to make gear pumps with a +/- .0001 tolerance. The best way to match the gears is to measure the holes in many areas using a telescoping hole mic, Find the smallest part of the hole or try to install the gears and make sure they dont touch the pump housing when rotated. If they do you need to remove some material from the sides of the gears (not the ends) this can be done easily but way of filing, remember these gears are only mild steel so you can easily file too much off. Keep testing the gears by installing them and filing them untill they dont rub in the pump. Now you have a oil pump worthy of a AMC engine. And one that will last 6 times longer. IF you have any questions please ask by posting another topic so we dont clog this one. Thanks for reading!

To join this forum and get deals on parts click here http://www.bulltear.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register&sid=60241e200adf309b75496aaea8536e9a

fuzz401
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
and make sure you use tri cloro in a well vented area and dont try to tap wit tri cloro on certin types of alum or it will start to smoke it is also great in cleaning gasket surfes up to

jeepsr4ever
09-18-2003, 12:10 PM
I am now offering this modification again, here is a link to the prices

http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427

blmk9999
01-17-2004, 08:37 AM
You mentioned that the oil pump holes become eliptical & you make high volume pump gears. Is there enough aluminum in the pump area to re-round the pump holes, then apply your nickle process, then make high volume pump gears to fit the new slightly large pump hole?

Thanks,

Mark

jeepsr4ever
01-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Mark that is a great question so lets get into it

1. elliptical holes are brought into spec but stay elliptical with only a insignificant fluctuatiion of oil flow after buildup of nickle.
2. To reshape the bores, they would first need to be completely evaluated and with other considerations like the oil gear drive through hole size other work may need to be done.
3. so lets say we took a cut out of the bore and we need .004 buildup to get back to spec, for every .0005 the parts need to be in the tank for approx. 1hr. It may even be impossible to get .004 out of electroless nickle as the nickle doesnt want to adhere after .0035 buildup. I have never heard of such a buildup but it may be able to be accoomplished.
4. Masking all the holes takes a considerable amount of time and can add alot of cost to each cover.
5. With the new covers and the prices being so cheap in todays market fixing your old timing cover is more of a hobbiest approach to the issue of bad oiling.
6. We sell new covers with nickle coated parts for $320 complete with gears installed and high and low pressure springs with a .0085 (best) gasket....ect. To do the fix by yourself saying you would want to do only one you could easily have over $700 in service alone into it.
7. It is not for me to dissuade you from this course however the facts are laid out and if you have the time patience and willingness to wait for the vendors (cleaners~platers) you could have what many guys are finding, The best stock oil pump in the world for AMC V8's

I hope i covered everything

-MC

Holeshot
02-04-2004, 05:01 PM
So, should we be sending all these used timing covers laying around our shops in for you to recycle? Any core reimbursement?

jeepmonster
11-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Under $200 for silver paint ???? You ARE kidding here right ?? Sorry, I don't buy it

edited by jeepsr4ever for content violation 2nd warning

Why would someone make such a silly comment. 111!!!

jeepsr4ever
11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Early on some members of another forum were critics of some of the products here but some are now members and some arent any more. This member 1QuikAMC was a member who hid his/her identity and posted this and much more negative information. I wonder what they are doing now that the nickel process is proven

jeepmonster
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Early on some members of another forum were critics of some of the products here but some are now members and some arent any more. This member 1QuikAMC was a member who hid his/her identity and posted this and much more negative information. I wonder what they are doing now that the nickel process is proven

Oh I get it. Those are the type of people who will try to debunk something simply because they are jealous or have absolutely no idea how it works, but then they will turnaround later and support the idea only after it is popular..they are followers not leaders.

Bulltear Ad