PDA

View Full Version : Drive shafts

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
09-30-2003, 06:22 PM
MC, I'll probably need those drive shafts for both Jeeps we PM'd about.

I've not figured drive line angles or lengths before before... so here's what I've got:

A) The front shaft for the 87 YJ (NP 231, 1" skid plate drop): running length is 41.375 cntr to cntr with about 8-9 degree angle, stock U-Joints weight on the wheels. The drive shaft is 38.25 & 41.25 (coll/extended)
B) I ordered the AdvAdapt 231 slip yoke eliminator kit today with a Tom Woods CV joint rear shaft (rear shaft has a 22 deg angle), it should be here by Fri/Sat they said. Should be a good weekend If I can play hookie from my chores ;-)

C) The 85 CJ (D300), front shaft running length is 33.75 after the M.O.R.E spring reverse install and your skid plate drop kit, the shaft is 32" short and 34.5 long so I'll need some length there. Angle is only 8-9 degrees.

D) Rear shaft...I dunno maybe a little longer too? Running length is 22.25 C-t-C, but the shaft is 20.5 short and 23.375 long, with a 22 deg angle. I'm sure I'll need more than 1 1/8 inches of drop ;-).

I don't know the full droop on the springs, where the Jeeps are now It would take a bit to jack'm that high and measure.

Comments anyone? Sugestions? Like I said, I've never tried to figure this out before - how much slide do I need?

Thanks
Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
10-01-2003, 07:28 AM
You did really good on explaining the dimensions to me, i will check it out today or tomorrow, very busy making oil pump gears and alternator brackets, 4 bolt main caps for 360's and 401's and inking deals with big outfitters and keeping up with sales and making sure everything goes out right and customer service.........ect ect ect ect......LOL

Bulltear Ad