PDA

View Full Version : Warnings about oil pump gears

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
10-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Ok guys a little warning here about replacing your oil pump gears with new ones.

1. Make sure they dont have dings and dents on the gear face or edge.
2. Do not install gears if they have burrs on top or bottom.

To fix this problem we have taken stock replacement gears and refinished them by way of breaking sharp and burred edges and lapping the gear faces and edges.

If you install new gears thinking you are helping your oil pump, you may actually be damaging it. I have talked to alot of jeeps who say they replaced the oil pump gears and got good oil pressure and then experienced a pressure drop and never a return of peak pressure values.
In fact they are scoring their oil pumps and damaging their gears. I make replacement oil pump sets with high or standard pressure and mine are totally gone over but you can buy a replacement set from many automotive stores, Just be carefull guys/gals, and keep those engines oiled

MC

78304CJ-7
10-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Umm.... So are you selling them yet? What is the price for the them broken down standard/High volume?

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
this is what i got going on currently

http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472

Lifted79CJ7
11-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Well crap. Add me into that group. I installed new gears, spring, etc into a new cover and haven't measured for any tolerances. I will need to do this as I decide to rebuild my 401. I bought a CJ7 once with a newly rebuilt engine. Was driving down the interstate at 55mph and the engine locked up due to a bad pump. This is probably what killed it I would guess. So what recomendations do you have for me for stuff to do or look at?
Jack
PS-You guys rock, I am learning more here is such a short period of time than I have in moths worth of reading! Thanks for all of you moderators out there!! You guys are invaluble! Hats off to ya!

jeepsr4ever
11-19-2003, 09:44 PM
I recommed either buying a gear set from me or doing what i do to gears yourself........DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OIL PUMP REPAIR KIT EXEPT BULLTEAR OR SEALED POWER!!!!!!!! I have seen used gears in a rebuild kit before.... Lots and Lots of oil pump upgrades are coming soon and the long awaited high flow gears....

XtremeOverKill
11-20-2003, 01:04 AM
I have heard that the Dodge 318 engine uses a pump simliar to ours, with 2 additional fingers. Only issues is that they stick out another 1/8 of an inch I beleive.

This info comes from the Frodin Webcite.
http://www.froadin.com/eng_mod_oilp.html

What about the thought out there that was of putting a Stainless steel sleve on the pump walls? Or how difficult would it be to convert this pump to a Chevy style pump???

You guys are great, and I respect your knowledge, as I hope you will respect my ignorance with a burning desire to learn.

- Mike

jeepsr4ever
11-20-2003, 06:59 AM
318 gear are very close, they are longer and a little bigger, the stainless cavity only fixes PART of the problem, its the ends of the gears that also cause a volumetric pressure loss. I guess the best thing you can do is get as good set of gears and check end gaps.......or i offer a couple of items

Holeshot
01-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Hello

So, who has adapted the 318 gears and is it worth doing?

Also, only "yours" and Sealed Power? Not Melling?
(how about a more official name for your gear set than "my gearset"?)

I'm a newbie here, please go easy on me!!!

jeepsr4ever
01-30-2004, 09:11 AM
We use the high grade federal mogul gears, Sealed power is owned by FM but you can buy 1 gear set from sealed power one day and the next get a completely different style of gear from the same part number. I have seen what appeas to be used gears in most major brand sets. FM are the only ones we will set up and sell

Bulltear Ad