PDA

View Full Version : AMC V8 pistons

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
They are offset guys this is a reminder for whoever is throwing one to gether .....look for the offset and make sure your putting them on the rods correctly

http://www.imgbay.com/sites/mpcrescenzo///44440002.jpg

XtremeOverKill
10-23-2003, 08:38 AM
With regard to your offset pistons a few questions and thoughts come to mind....

First off I'm glad you know your stuff! I mean, I have always valued what you say and take it in the highest regards.... BUT now you have really impressed me.

And I am so glad that you told me about using Chevy Pistons, for I was very close to doing just that. And as trouble would normally have it.... Now i am extremely inquisitive about the pros/cons of offset pistons, and how previous guys who run Chevy 400 pistons can get away with it??? I"m not trying to disavow your claim/findings, but I am interested in learning.

Now for the Technial side of things. Assuming AMC pistons - complete with offset. There is a direction, so to speak, of the orientation of how to insert the pistons into the block, relative to the Con. rods. Let us assume for a minute we are talking of the odd bank of cylinders, drivers' side. If the #1 hole is on my left, and the #7 to my right..... how shal I orienent the offset with regard to the rods. I know we can not just rotate these 180 degrees to compensate, and I would like to tell my Machinist -sp?- how to properly mount the rods to the pistons.

Is the offset with the Generous portion to the lower side of the block - away from the Intake Manifold?

Mike

jeepsr4ever
10-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Mike, thanks

Guys need to know this stuff or they can have some strange engine problems down the road.

Tigger
10-23-2003, 08:50 AM
From what I have seen with rebuilding engines if the pin is offset the piston top will have a direction arrow on the top something like >Front> and you just orientate the piston to the proper direction and you are done, takes the guess work out of it.

jeepsr4ever
10-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Yeah most forged pistons have that, but i havent seen a cast AMC piston with arrows yet.......I dont know why, maybe it wasnt in their original tooling

XtremeOverKill
10-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear that forged pistons have markings on them. But in response to your comment about stock arrows..... it is my understanding that from the factory, and in the TSM, there are directional arrows explicitly on the piston.

Pointing towards the front of the engnie of course.

While we are on the topic of pistons......
The stock piston is Dished - Have no clue what the cc is, but it has almost NO Quench. I have read about getting quench from pistons, deck height, head gaskets etc.... but for purpouses f this matter, allow me to play dumb and ask, Where can I find AMC specific pistons, adapted with quench, and what range of quench would be safe. Taking into account the shifting or rocking of the piston, is 0.020 enough - EXTREMELY high quench, or would 0.040 - essentially Zero Deck Clearance, and a Proform Head Gasket, Be enough quench?

I have heard that to push a quench of 0.037 to 0.030 on non-alumnium heads will outperform Alumnium heads? What validitiy/reliability can you credit to this, and from your experience?

What are the extremes?

Mike M

jeepsr4ever
10-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Mike to push a quench and get better prformance out of a stock head vs. a highly engineered alum head is possible with porting and polishing, the extremes? Alot of it depends on the bore, as engineering math goes it is a progressive number for each increased bore and in exponetially different for material (head type, piston, type of rods and in some cases wrist pin diameter) So where should we start? I mean a ballpark figure can apply to most situations but exact numbers are a completely different world.

jeepsr4ever
10-23-2003, 10:30 AM
some good tech
http://www.raceseek.com/custom_piston_information.htm

Mudrat
11-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Mike to push a quench and get better prformance out of a stock head vs. a highly engineered alum head ...
OK, color me stupid :eyeslam: , I can quench hot metal and even temper it sometimes, but what is "Quench" in regards to piston position? I just marked mine and reinstalled them in the same hole??

Mudrat

Tigger
11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
The quench height is the distance between the piston top and the cylinder head when the piston is at TDC. It is the sum of the deck clearance distance from piston top at TDC to block deck surface) and the compressed head gasket thickness. Ideally it should be around 0.040". This clearance is necessary to allow for stretching of the rods at high rpm, otherwise the pistons would hit the head with disastrous consequences. When the quench height is smaller, more gases get compressed within the piston dish/combustion chamber and there are less detonation-inducing hotspots. This allows the engine to run a higher CR and low octane gas without detonation. Emissions are also improved.

Mudrat
11-11-2003, 08:12 PM
The quench height is the distance between the piston top and the cylinder head when the piston is at TDC...
Roger all, different than cooling hot metal or suppressing electronic noise :shock:

I - R - ed-u-ma-cated a bit better :lol:

Thanks
Mudrat

78304CJ-7
11-12-2003, 09:57 AM
="While we are on the topic of pistons......
The stock piston is Dished - Have no clue what the cc is, but it has almost NO Quench. I have read about getting quench from pistons, deck height, head gaskets etc.... but for purpouses f this matter, allow me to play dumb and ask, Where can I find AMC specific pistons, adapted with quench, and what range of quench would be safe. Taking into account the shifting or rocking of the piston, is 0.020 enough - EXTREMELY high quench, or would 0.040 - essentially Zero Deck Clearance, and a Proform Head Gasket, Be enough quench?

I have heard that to push a quench of 0.037 to 0.030 on non-alumnium heads will outperform Alumnium heads? What validitiy/reliability can you credit to this, and from your experience?

What are the extremes?

Mike M

.020 is too close. Effective quienh is right abou .035-.045. Stock Amc pistons don't lend themselves to quench which is why I am going with custom pistons. From talking with Venolia they will look something like the 4.0 pistons with the "D" in them. Then dish down so I can still get a resonable compression ratio.

-RJ

Holeshot
01-31-2004, 01:42 PM
The AMC pistons have notches on the crown, just outside of the valve relief, visible from the head side, even after installation. Notch to the front of the engine. I can post a pic, but don't have one scanned in at the moment...Dave

PS: another cool thing about the AMC geometry is that if piston hits valve, you bend pushrods, not valves and split guides. I found this out when my timing chain jumped, then jumped back so I could get home!

fuzz401
01-31-2004, 06:50 PM
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/0c8f3fcb.jpg
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/678f0450.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/678f0450.jpg
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/0c8f3fcb.jpg

Mudrat
01-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Interesting - I tried to fix the link and it won't come in??? Cut and past works, but not IMG??

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad