PDA

View Full Version : SOA Questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
I am going to be going SOA very soon. I am also planning on trussing my m20 rear axle. I was wondering if anyone has a good design for a anti-wrap bar that either could be incorporated with the truss. Or run seperatly. Pictures would be great.

Also what angle do I want to set the axles at? I am not running a transfercase drop or anything currently.
Thanks
Paul

Tigger
10-23-2003, 07:54 PM
On jeepaholics.com there is a post for a "Bam Bar" that looks really cool. I can't remembe the angle I set my 8.8 at when I put it in.

pyagid
10-24-2003, 09:46 PM
thanks for the tip. I found it here
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/images/DCP_0890.JPG

jeepsr4ever
10-25-2003, 07:50 AM
DONT DO IT THAT WAY!

These guys who think they are engineering a great piece maybe didnt research it all that well, You see as the spring compresses the geometry of the pinion yoke changes, IT ACTUALLY MOVES DOWN (BAD) with that set-up. There are 2 ways i know of to help psring wrap and axle hop and one is a ladder bar, the other is a longer spring purch on the axle.

Tigger
10-25-2003, 08:20 AM
GOOD point MC I looked at it and was like that should work cool but not being an engineer or fabricator I don't see all the forces in effect.

jeepsr4ever
10-25-2003, 08:29 AM
It is really to bad that someone put all that great effort into that mod, look at the cross brace, it looks awesome!! This reminds me of my all stainless timing cover i made, engineering disaster because it was billet the thermal expansion rate was huge and it warped warped warped, and thats all i will say about that .......LOL

pyagid
10-25-2003, 10:27 AM
so will a longer perch like the ones RE has eliminate axle wrap with out a lader bar.......I was planning on purchasing something or making something like taht anyway.???

W.T.Sumner
10-26-2003, 01:53 PM
That is a question I need answered also. I will be swapping in d44s on my CJ7 and doing a soa. How long should I make the perched. Do you have any pic.s of it?

jeepsr4ever
10-26-2003, 02:38 PM
ok 9" channel with a cut out of the tube diameter your going to use in teh middle (4.5"s from either end) and that really really decreases the axle wrap

pyagid
10-27-2003, 09:15 AM
ok 9" channel with a cut out of the tube diameter your going to use in teh middle (4.5"s from either end) and that really really decreases the axle wrap

Should this be done front and rear or does it really only need to be done on the rear?

CJ Shark
11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Desert Steel has a great Truss/Skid Plate for the 20.

You will have to make some modifications for the soa but only on the one side.

fatpaulie
11-22-2003, 01:43 AM
question mc? with it welded like that how can the pinion go down?
the way it looks to me i dont see anyway the pinion can go up or down, only the whole axle. im not sure i could be wrong.

jeepsr4ever
11-22-2003, 07:58 AM
pinion will not go down you are right paulie, But if this setup is to eliminate wheel hop, then its wrong if used with leaf springs

Bulltear Ad