PDA

View Full Version : Is this true??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
10-24-2003, 07:41 AM
A met a person online who said his dad was an engineer for jeep and his job was to engineer water pockets under the jeep bodies!!!!!! WTF!!

pyagid
10-24-2003, 07:44 AM
why would you need water pockets under a body? Maybe b/c i am not a fabricator I do not understand :drinking:

jeepsr4ever
10-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Waterpockets are designed to rust a body out, they actually hold water!!

Tigger
10-24-2003, 08:47 AM
That is just wrong if they did [-X

W.T.Sumner
10-24-2003, 04:56 PM
I think they named the largest water pocket, called it a floor board.

jeepsr4ever
10-24-2003, 06:29 PM
LOL heck yeah no kidding, hey how come nobody offers flintstone floorboards?

Tigger
10-24-2003, 07:39 PM
I can offer you a good deal on some flintstone floorboards in a 77Cherokee. :lol:

AlaskaJeepR
10-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Had a Gremlin once that had Flinstone floorboards!!

YABBA DABBA DOO!!

Floridajeeper
10-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Like my Ramcharger...has these rubber plugs to let the water out of the body panels...so...if they'll hold the water(the body panels)...why put the plugs in in the first place????? :?

rollen dean montoya
01-21-2004, 07:46 PM
seems kinda dumb to have water pockets on any 4x4 #-o . sounds
like alot of dung to me.
later, dog :lo1l:

jeepsr4ever
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
It does sound like crap but alot of manufacturers make things to last only so long

mrtazwrench
01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
MOST THINGS ARE BUILT TO GO 3YEARS/36,000 MILES, SOON AS THEY ARE OUT OF WARRANTY THE CAR COMPNIES DON'T CARE.

diddycj5
01-22-2004, 01:34 PM
MOST THINGS ARE BUILT TO GO 3YEARS/36,000 MILES, SOON AS THEY ARE OUT OF WARRANTY THE CAR COMPNIES DON'T CARE.

I recently discovered a car manufacture that builds everything to last... Volkswagon. My wife's car is a '95 Jetta with 95+K miles. I just replaced the orginal spark plugs/wires, timing belt, and freggin battery. That orignal battery lasted 8yrs! It has never had anything wrong with it. All I can say is that I have been pretty impressed with that German engineering.... Its still no Jeep though - can't really take a Volkswagon wheelin offroad. But the less maintence my wife's car requires means more $$ and time for my jeep. Moral of the story: buy the wife something reliable so the jeep can get even more TLC.

Trailbst
02-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a Good plan Diddy!!

My Jeep is a 71, and it doesn't have flinstone floorboards, so I will go with the "it's a load of crap line".

Erik

Dusty
04-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree, There is a reason manufacturers use cheap sheet metal instead of stainless steel, same reason Dodge, Chevy and Ford all through those years had specific areas that would rust or fail. Engineered flaws are what keep an auto manufacturer in business. Since the 1970's auto manufacturers have restructured themselves around vehicle maintance. Engineering water pockets is not out of the question, I heard that from several old Willys techs from WWII who said that when the tubs were built they used 1x2 pieces of wood in the forming of the floor board braces not as much for stuctural strength since hte formed sheetmetal brace was strong enough but so that in 5-8 years of military "multi enviroment" use that these things would start to rust out and need replacing. Gaurenteed return customer, taking advantage of the extreme conditions.

They knew the vehicles would get wet and muddy regularly so they added a little extra insurance that the body would start fail as time progressed. Same thing with our newer vehicles, Auto manufacturers have known for 40-50 years that certain states use Magnesium cloride, or Salt for De-icing, yet after 5 years or 100,000 miles a good chunk of those vehicles have spots on the body or underneath that do not drain and retain these products thus increasing the rust potential. Drill a few holes in the bottom of one of these pockets and you can limits the amount of build up thus decreasing the potential for rust to develop as agressively.

I think they try to avoid it moreso today than 10 years ago, i have a hard time believing that they "un-intentionally" did make pockets and flawed designs that ultimately resulted in continued rust in the same spot model after model for 40+ years.

just my .02 but i think they knew about it from day 1 either as a flaw that they continued to use because they knew they could call it a fluke of it was intentionally done after it was discovered and a rumor has evolved around it.

Dusty

Boris Buttmunch
12-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Betcha a peanut butter & jelly sandwich that if you're not dead nut correct-you could'nt get much closer to the truth.Japanese manufacturer's have been building with these "practices"moreso than us though.Funny thing is-They once openly admitted it!

3jeepsdeep
12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
5 yrs ago - after my Cherokee (TAZ) was totaled for the first time (mostly due to low estimate of market value) -- I had to repair or replace the floor board decking in cargo area & under back seat. Every time the road was wet the tires pumped enough water inside to create my own water fun park.

Tough job, but since then TAZ has been sporting 5/4" tongue & groove fir deck boards for an aft deck. NO rust, had to recaulk edges after 4 yrs. Used construction adhesive to join the boards and also used some cross brace spars -- it is hard as rock and doesn't rust. Used deck wood sealing treatment to finish it off

in Feb 2003, was 'totaled' for the second time (fool ran red lite, hit R/R corner ). Bumper was demolished, qtr panel crushed, knocked TAZ 90 degrees Clockwise. Result, No floorboard damage, $$check and a chuckle or 2 from insurance company, a little welding, banging with BFH, bondo work, replacement bumper made from 3" x 1/4" angle iron, and a ""lower half" paint job...........................back on the road and goin for 250k miles.

Oh - didn't find the water pocket rust generator thang, but did find PLENTY of evidence that it probably exists.

Sorry for the long post but it was fun. :mrgreen:
cheers df

Reposted - Pics:

http://image22.webshots.com/23/5/52/21/230955221HmIMGg_ph.jpg

http://image22.webshots.com/23/5/48/71/230954871txjkdZ_ph.jpg

Mudrat
12-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey 3Deep - links noworkie :smile:
Just replaced the rust pockets under and behind the roll bar on an 87 YJ. Had to rebuild the floor board brace too because the design held water and sand (ocean beaches around here).

But one of my co-workers showed me an old Willies Overland panel wagon and it has the wooden rear deck. I'd love to get it and restore it to what it was instead of having a bunch of CJ stuff bolted on (lights, mirrors, bumper, etc). Chrome grill is bad, and there are no stub axles in the front axle, but the body is pristine!

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
12-09-2004, 02:51 AM
But one of my co-workers showed me an old Willies Overland panel wagon and it has the wooden rear deck. I'd love to get it and restore it to what it was instead of having a bunch of CJ stuff bolted on (lights, mirrors, bumper, etc). Chrome grill is bad, and there are no stub axles in the front axle, but the body is pristine!

Oh Pat, you gotta get a Willy's!! How fun would that be!! :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad