PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Tigger
10-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Ok guys/gals let me know what you think.

History
It looks like I will be getting another cherokee. This one is a 76 WT "S" and has 401 with a bad piston, TH400, QT, body is in really good shape. I have a 77 WT "S" Cherokee, body in poor shape, good 360, T18A, D20. I have a few things running around in my head as far as idea so here goes.

Option 1
Take the 360/T18a/D20 and swap it in the cherokee with the good body, sell the TH400/QT and rebuild the 401 swap it back in. I know alot of work but I will have a running cherokee while I rebuild the 401. Part out the Cherokee with the bad body.

Option 2
Sell the cherokee with the bad body complete for someone to make a chop top trail rig out of and use that money to rebuild the engine in the other Cherokee.

Option 3
Just do the engine swap and keep the automatic (YUCK), rebuild the 401 Put it back in.

Help me out. :?:

jeepsr4ever
10-26-2003, 12:47 PM
I would take the drivetrain out of the rusted one put it in place of the 401 drivetrain, rebuild the 401 sell the th400 and quad, then install the 401 and keep the 360 fro a spare, or you could just swap bodies, too bad your not my neighbor we could manhandle those pieces!

AlaskaJeepR
10-26-2003, 12:50 PM
I agree w/ MC. Keep the 360 as your bullet motor, and swap out all the other parts into the good body.

Tigger
10-26-2003, 12:52 PM
I thought about a body swap but the rear cross member on the rusty cherokee is shot, and I can get this one for alot less than getting a new cross memeber welded in and have spare parts, part out what i don't need and maybe make some funds for putting into the jeep or the business.

jeepsr4ever
10-26-2003, 01:08 PM
:cheers:

Tigger
10-26-2003, 06:27 PM
MC believe me if I lived closer we would already have this red cherokee stripped down and just waiting for the other to show up. Hell we would probally have chopped the top and built a roll cage for it and just waiting to get on the trails.

fuzz401
10-26-2003, 06:43 PM
i would keep the th-400 have it rebuilt add the missing clutch plates and install a reprogram valve body for better shifting

pyagid
10-26-2003, 06:59 PM
I would go with option 1 swap the complete drivetrain over part out what ever you could that is left. Rebuild the 401 put that back in and either keept eh 360 as a spare or sell that

Tigger
10-26-2003, 08:25 PM
i would keep the th-400 have it rebuilt add the missing clutch plates and install a reprogram valve body for better shifting

I am really not a fan of automatic transmissions in any 4wd vehicle.

AlaskaJeepR
10-26-2003, 09:36 PM
I don't know, I gues it depends on what you want it 4. I agree with rebuilding the th400, putting race clutches and steels in it and a manual valve body. I did that in one of my J series and it held up to all the torment I could put it through. :forcefeed:

JeepAngel
10-26-2003, 09:42 PM
So many options to choose from Tigger, what WILL you do... let me help you out. Since I'm so nice (and cute too)...
Option 1) sounds GREAT on ummm paper, but we both know that just won't do. :roll:
Option 2) now that's an option you just need to run away from... fast... did i mention FAST?? :walk:

Option 3) Yeah exactly..... YUCK... :tongue6:

SO... what I suggest you do is this.......... listen carefully to your :angel7: part out the Red Dragon..... use that cash to...........
buy ME something... LOL please please please? [-o<

Honestly though... Option 1. :cheers: and you say i can never make a decision. :tongue1:

Tigger
10-26-2003, 10:04 PM
AK Jeeper - I am just one of those guys that loves to have a clutch, this will be my DD, Tow Vehicle and a wheeler when the YJ isn't up to it or I just dont feel like hauling it.

BUT..... alas.... the Boss (JeepAngel is my lady and a Jeep Chick) has spoken..... Looks like I better be really good to her this Christmas since I will have bought two jeeps within 3.5 months and she is ok with it all. It also seems she got stuck in Emoticon hell there :lol:

AlaskaJeepR
10-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Well, if Jeep Angel is YOUR Angel, you probably should listen to her. :shock:
A wise man once told me, "If momma's happy then everyone's happy, and if Momma ain't happy, AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY!! :wink:

So welcome Angel, and keep that boy in line.... I can't help he likes to wear his left leg out on that clutch... 8)

JeepAngel
10-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the welcome, and I'm lucky, he keeps himself in line... but I think that's because I let him THINK that he keeps himself in line, LOL
:physassult:

AlaskaJeepR
10-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Smart ladies always let the man think he is in conrtol.. Unfortunatly, most don't truly realize the power they wield over their man. If the man is the head of the family, the woman is the neck that turns it... That can be good or bad. :oops:

Tigger
10-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Smart ladies always let the man think he is in conrtol.. Unfortunatly, most don't truly realize the power they wield over their man. If the man is the head of the family, the woman is the neck that turns it... That can be good or bad. :oops:

I have to agree with this because Angel is quite the head turner. :wink:

I like to keep her happy because then she buys me stuff like ummm......a carb right MC?

jeepsr4ever
10-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Yeah and jeepangel do you have a sister.........LOL I need fuel injection for my 85' with a 401 :santa:

Tigger
10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out.

I will be swapping the complete drivetrain over our of the "Red Dragon" Cherokee (360/T18a/D20), rebuilding the 401 putting the 401 back in. Parting out the "Red Dragon" Cherokee, selling the TH400 and QT unit. The 360 will either be sold as is, or rebuilt and sold, or rebuilt and kept all depends on finances.

I know I will have more questions when that 401 goes back in, since it will be mated to a manual tranny rather than an auto so I know there will be some changes and the 401 is externally balanced if I recall correctly. When the time comes I will post that.

Bulltear Ad