PDA

View Full Version : Distributor gear oilling?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
10-29-2003, 03:01 PM
I am getting to rebuild a 360 (have 2 complete engines to work from) and remember seeing something online once: They mentioned drilling into the block oil passage and installing a zerk fitting to spray extra oil on the distributor gear. They claimed that this would fix the amc-distributor oiling problem. I cant remember or find the webpage anymore. Has anyone heard of or done this?

jeepsr4ever
10-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Its a sham a scam and whoever started that should be whipped with a leather strap!! :whipitgood: ..........LOL really though !!!!!!!!! Here is why, when you take volume out of your oil system before it reaches the mains you are doing something very very very BAD. The ONLY reason people have oiling issues are that they dont set up the front of their engines right, oil slinger in place, oiling grooves in the top timing gear free of casting flash. Man i have heard that soo many times and seen so many people do very bad mods to thier engines i get my feathers ruffled, dont listen to anyone who tells you you need to give your dist gear extra oil. I even had a friend who ran a exterior line to the top of his timing cover..... Look at your cam mounted timing gear and your fuel pump eccentric and understand how oil gets to your dizzy gear, then if their is any casting flash you will know it and problem solved, heck even some drag racers do it because someone told them too or they never started with good timing gears.....funny how a bad thing is passed on as gospel, the only other thing that makes me madder about mods is the use of vaseline to prime the pump.........LOL

Great first post though! answered many peoples questions here

fuzz401
10-29-2003, 06:53 PM
I am going to trick out my jeep next week with a new 439hp 401 ..YEAH!!

man were does that put me at :oops:

jeepsr4ever
10-29-2003, 07:02 PM
C'mon fuzz you got to be close to that!!!!!

thigh19
06-03-2004, 02:27 AM
What is wrong with Vasoline in the oil pump?

jeepsr4ever
06-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Untill your engine heats up to operating temperature the thicker fluid or in this case vaseline type grease traps particles on the top and bottom of the oil pump gears and causes scoring right off the bat.

Bulltear Ad