PDA

View Full Version : MC.... Shackle idea

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

78304CJ-7
10-31-2003, 12:17 PM
MC..... I have no idea if this can be done or not. But As I am doing research on springs I was wondering if it was possible to make a shacle for a CJ that would accept a 2.5" spring. Kinda go from 2" to 2.5"

Kinda look like this:

........ ||......||
........ ||......||
....... //........\\
...... ||==== ||
...... ||..........||

The "dots" are for the spacing purposes, and the "=" would be the cross memember. The top would fit the stock 2" sping mount and the bottom would accept a wider 2.5" spring. As I stated above I have no idea if this would work or not.

Also on a side note. How do stock waggy springs comapre in lift to CJ springs. I am thinking when I go SOA if I use waggy springs will I gain any more lift, which I don't want.

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
10-31-2003, 12:50 PM
sure how many do you want? I am in the process of offering stainless steel conversion shackles that are waterjet cut, but its down the road a little

Kornchild
11-01-2003, 06:37 AM
Otherwise I think RE offers that shackle already, for their CJ lifts using YJ springs, don't quote me on that though...

jeepsr4ever
11-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Korn is right RE does offer that, but it may be the wrong width for your app

78304CJ-7
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
I saw the one on RE and the thing is if I go with 2.5" (Width) YJ springs with SOA the only ones they have are +1" lift. Umm.... I don't want any more then what I am going to get with SOA, so can this be done without the added lift? Is there enough room to still make them strong enough yet bow out wider?

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah you can make them stubby and work for that app, when i get some time i will shoot you some numbers

78304CJ-7
11-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Let me know... I am intrested. I Was also wondering something else while pondering this. Do stock CJ springs have more arc then stock YJ springs. I know Stock YJ springs are pretty mushy and flat, my CJ spring have a decent arc to them, If I used the RE 1.5" SOA springs is this about latteral move lift wise as using my CJ springs. I know I would have to move the front spring mount forward to accomidate them. Just wondering I want to keep my lift minimal to keep my COG down.

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
RJ man are you dealing with variables here, yes the cj leafs are more arched than a stock yj............alot more

pyagid
11-03-2003, 09:52 PM
RJ man are you dealing with variables here, yes the cj leafs are more arched than a stock yj............alot more

I thought I read somewhere that YJ springs are a little longer.....Is this true? and with them less arched that would provide a softer and flexy ride.

jeepsr4ever
11-03-2003, 09:59 PM
yup Pyagid thats true

78304CJ-7
11-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Well my plan is to run the RE SOA springs (1.5 inch lift) wich are the same width as the YJ springs at 2.5 inches in the front compared to CJ springs at 2 inches, I was thinking of moving the front spring pearch forward. I am hoping that actually the RE springs will have less "lift" then my Cj springs bringing my COG down a tad. Every stock YJ springs I have seen is just about "flat" meaning no arc in either direction on flat ground. The added weight of the v8 in the front should compress these some more then netting me only about 4 inches of lift when I go SOA.

I would do this be moving the back hole of the front spring pearch to the forward hole then redrilling the hole for the front this would move me forward enough to ge them to fit and would be simple enough. Then I can use one of MC's shackles to adapt the pearch to fit the YJ spring.

Trailbst
01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Reviving this thread a little with a twist.

Got an idea from someone on EarlyCJ5 (http://www.earlycj5.com) to use Dakota springs on the rear of my CJ. They are 54" long, with the locating pin only 22" from one end. The effect is similar to the Holbrook Long Leafs.

My prob is my early cj came with 1.75" springs. Would it just be easier and safer to weld up new shackle hangers or ask you to make a shackle that adapts from 1.75" to 2.5"??

Erik

Bulltear Ad