PDA

View Full Version : Why do i despise AMC 20's???????????

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
11-09-2003, 05:45 PM
any more questions
http://www.imgbay.com/sites/mpcrescenzo///SAPP%20011.jpg

W.T.Sumner
11-09-2003, 07:09 PM
The only time I ever spun a hub I was spinning tires on the street.

pyagid
11-10-2003, 06:05 AM
same here....once i Put my 360 that is when i spun the hub. After pulling wheelies with the jeep a couple of times. This is also how i blew up my t-5...but i think that was on the way out anyway.

The 1 piece axles fixed that and I have had no other problems yet. I am going to truss it though to prevent my self from bending the housing. When I do bend it or break it I will eihter have it retubed or put something larger an stronger in

78304CJ-7
11-10-2003, 06:20 AM
LOL been there done that :shock: . Have gone to one piece. Hope they last with my 401 until I get the Dana 70 under there.

-RJ

CJ Shark
11-14-2003, 03:09 PM
An Model 20 is actually a really good diff when you put 1 piece axels inside it.

The ring gear is bigger than a 44, and is almost as strong as a 9inch.

I had a 20 for almost 10 years, running everything from 36 swampers to 35 x 16 Boggers. If you can't snap an axel with a bogger that wide, you have a good axel.

FYI I had the Moser 1 piece axels. I reccomend them to anyone.

jeepsr4ever
11-14-2003, 03:27 PM
yes its true the ring and pinion have a HUGE wear pattern and with one piece alxes you can have a good rear end.
Personally i do not like the 20 because of its 2 piece alxes and thin tubes.Now you can add thick tubes and one piece axles but does the cost outweight the advantage to having a 20? Thats the question i have asked myslef lots of times, when i totall the cost of the 20 build or a dana 44-60 for the rear, the answer is simple for me, ditch the 20....upgrade. This topic has really been beaten to death over the years of the interenet bbd but i guess the equation always has a simple answer in the end

1. Guys that like the 20 run the 20 and will spend money for upgrades and end up with a decent rear axle
2. Guys that have been burned by bent tubes, broken spiders, Busted hubs and spun tubes are generally 75% more likely to buy a different axle

Some will debate the subject without first hand experience. Its too bad that AMC wasnt around today, i bet they would have a very potent rearend. The fact that AMC engineers went to the two piece axles isnt realized that often. The rational explanation would be that they didnt want the wheel to come off if too much stress was applied to the axle and the hubs spun. Ive seen 20's and 15's on the trails getting beaten hard and occasionally they do blow out. With all the forces placed on that axle i guess the only thing they could have done better was to go full floating and make the tubes thicker. Then i would love to run a AMC 20.!

Bulltear Ad