PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder wall questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
12-14-2003, 05:45 PM
So when I yank my heads off, what should (hopefully) the cylinder walls look like? What exactly is cross-hatching? What does honing do and which ones of these can I do at home inexpensively? How can I measure if I need to bore out my 401? As you can see, I am still a newby (as you all know by now!) to doing an engine rebuild when it comes to the small stuff.
Jack (Wants to yank my heads off this week if the weather prevails)

jeepsr4ever
12-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Look of ra top ridge on the cylinder, if you plan on reusing your pistons you will need to ridge ream this ridge off to take your pistons out, your cylinders are probly smooth and shiny unless you had a recent rebuild. Cross hatching refers to the finish the hone leaves when the engine is built or rebuilt. Look for deep scratches or any scratches. If you have a ridge you can feel chances are you ahve to bore it or run oversize rings. Guys have gotten away with stock pistons on a .010 oversize bore with .010 oversize rings. Also when you take your pistons out anfter ridge reaming make sure you get them checked by a mechanic or machinist for cracks, those cast 401 pistons love to crack (stock ones). Look for heavy oily deposits on your piston tops. Let us know what you find

Lifted79CJ7
12-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Well I have a ridge reamer from when I made my first attempt at rebuilding an old toyota engine years ago after my freshman year of college. I have a feeling it is not gonna be pretty, whatever I find. You should have seen the engine when I picked it up. Yuck is all I can say. I will take as many pics as I can and post them for you guys to take a look at for me. I understand what you are talking about with crosshatching - looks like small X's all over the cylinder walls from hning the engine, correct? :book:
Jack

Mudrat
12-21-2003, 05:22 PM
I understand what you are talking about with crosshatching - looks like small X's all over the cylinder walls from hning the engine, correct? :book:
Jack
Yup. Lttle scratches in an X pattern. Comes from moving the hone back and forth while moving it up/down in the bore... looking fo 30-60 degree angles.
Mudat

Rocky
01-03-2004, 02:32 AM
It sounds like this is a used 401 you bought... is that right?
If it's reall crusty/dirty, there's a good chance it has a lot of miles on it, and not a lot of TLC, so likely it'll need a bit of work.
I agree that if there's aridge that you can feel, it'll probably need to be bored, and not just honed. If you have micrometers and are comfortable w/ using them, check the cylinders for bore diameter, as well as roundness and the walls for parallel.
If you don't have the tools, or don't feel like tackling the measurements, strip it down and take the block to a machine shop. They can take care of measurements, bore it if needed, magnaflux for cracks if you want (a good idea) replace the cam bearings, and best of all.... before doing anything, they can hot tank it!!!! There's nothing nicer than working on an engine that has been completely and thoroughly cleaned!
You'll also want to thoroughly clean out all the oil galleries (or have the machine shop do it) and install new core plugs (use brass).
Check the deck surface for flatness using a machinist's straight edge and feeler gauges.
Send the heads out for a valve job (unless you have a vavle grinder) and resurface if they need it. Also check youe exhaust manifolds for flatness at the mating surface, and have them resurfaced, if needed.
After that (if I haven't forgotten anything) it's time to carefully reassemble it, using loctite on rod and main bolts, plastigage on bearings, assembly lube on every contact interface between moving parts, and a torque wrench where required.
Use a new oil pump kit, and check the clearances (side and end) when installing it. Also, if there is any scoring in the oil pump housing, you'll want to replace the timing cover.

Have fun!

Lifted79CJ7
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks Rocky! For a recap on my engine, read this:
http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716
It kind of tells where I am at with the rebuild. hopefully later today I can take the lower end out of the engine. I will take pics as I go along for input!
Jack

jeepsr4ever
01-22-2004, 04:25 PM
:t:

Mudrat
01-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks Rocky! For a recap on my engine, read this:
http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716
It kind of tells where I am at with the rebuild. hopefully later today I can take the lower end out of the engine. I will take pics as I go along for input!
Jack
Is it gonna be ready for the next club meeting?

Rat

Bulltear Ad