PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Any suggestions on rings? Anyone prefer one type or brand over another? Should I go gapless? I was thinking about Moly rings. I have heard a lot of great things about long life with them. Are there gapless moly rings?
Jack

jeepsr4ever
12-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Moly rings are for higher revs and longer ring life, they take longer to break in and require very specific honing!

Iron rings are stock and can do fine in a low-mid revving engine, they require honing for break in

Total seal rings come in iron and moly, not sure on pt #'s

Moly is just the top ring

Lifted79CJ7
12-14-2003, 08:17 PM
a) I think the highest rev my engine will see would probably be 5000 or 5500 (more like 5000). I would like to be a general all around good engine, lots of torque. So I should stick with Iron rings then, correct?

b) How exactly do you hone an engine? I have seen what looks like lots of little fishing weights tied together that you would put in a drill, this is for honing correct?

c) What type of specific honing vs regular honing has to be done for moly rings?

Jack

XtremeOverKill
12-14-2003, 10:30 PM
I heard something one time from a guy who used rings that were filed REALLY close, like near 1mm if not tighter.

But he was complaining because the engine was burning oil? Because the crank case needed to be in a vaccume? or something like that.....

I'm not really looking for the validity in this situation as much as I am interested in the opininon of Total Seal Rings.

Effectively a Zero gap top ring, and lets say a tight seal on the 2nd ring.
I have read articles that profess this to be beneficial in many ways, reducing blowby to a near minimum, Leak down tests were reduced by at least 3X. There by keeping all of the combustible gasses in the cylinder, keeping the oil from contamination, and other benefits.

So are their any detriments to Total Seal Rings?
Or perhaps under a different brand, but still the idea of having NO gap on the top ring.

Humbly,
Mike

jeepsr4ever
12-15-2003, 10:52 AM
the ONLY way these total seal rings work is to split the ring so when the engine heats up and the pistons expand the ring can slide a little. Total seal rings are the better BUT they have been known to chip off leaving a huge air gap and leak down to the crankcase past the second ring. If you have standard rings and had a zero gap when the piston thermally expands you scratch the cylinder wall and start to burn oil, the gap is NEEDED on standard rings (not total seal) if you think your doing yourself a favor by installing the rings with a close to zero gap your not taking into account the thermal expansion of the pistons. Cast pistons expand a lot more than forged ones

Bulltear Ad