PDA

View Full Version : soa on 1978 cj-7

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bdmc73099
12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
want to do a soa stock 30 in front and amc20 in back i have limited funding (xmas) what all will need to be changed and degree of yoke can you folks direct me in the right direction?

cjmike67
12-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Just get some spring perches new around $45.00 ! Keep the front at parallel to the excisting mounts and put the rear end up at about 4 degrees.

cjmike67
12-15-2003, 08:44 PM
The only thing that you might have to modify is the steering arm from pitman to knuckle ! You might have to heat that up and bend in an s curve to clear the springs ! If you do need to make this mod be sure to gusset the arm with metal ! I used angle iron on my first attempt ! :lo1l:

bdmc73099
12-16-2003, 09:50 AM
ok thanks mike im not sure if soa is what i want the stock springs are flat style and its laying low in the front now mabe 2 1/2 sus. lift ? cheapest and easiest will do

CJ Shark
01-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm not the most technical of writers, but i did do a page on how we origionally did my SOA & shackle reversal.

Could give you some ideas or at least what you can expect.

http://www.mudslingerz.com/SOA.htm

Lifted79CJ7
02-15-2004, 05:19 PM
a 2.5" or 4" lift might suit you. For a spring over, you will need to weld on new perches, get longers shocks, longer brake lines, have your driveshafts lengthened (maybe even a CV style shaft for the rear axle), make sure the steering clears, new u bolts, dropped pitman arm, and all that fun stuff. Just pick up a bolt on lift kit and be done with it. A lot less work if you don't have all the tools to fab up a spring over. I have a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift and it came with EVERYTHING that I needed. It might be out of your price range though. Steer clear of cheap lifts (ProComp, ETC), for they give a harsh ride from stiff springs. Just ask around and if I were you, I would pick up a used lift kit. Much cheaper, then you can upgrade as money prevails!
Hope this helps,
Jack

Bulltear Ad