PDA

View Full Version : water leaks

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

engine
12-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Got an '80 Cherokee Golden Eagle, 360 and 4-sp. Looking to get some ideas on where to look for a neusance water leak. When driven in rain, water leaks into the passenger side foot-well, comes down through the heater vent. I'm guessing a weep hole in the cowl area, but it really doesn't leak when it just sits while it rains. We thought it was in the wheel well, and tries sealing it with undercoateing and roofing tar, but didn't work. I heard this is a common thing with these trucks. Any one else?

jeepsr4ever
12-27-2003, 01:18 PM
sheesh i am thinking right behind the heater box or windsheild seal...tigger might have a few ideaas on this one

Heepey
01-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I would check the windshield seal or a radio antenna lead hole in the bottlm of the cowl air box.

jeepndav
01-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I had a problem with the windshield seal a while back. That's where I'd check. Mine was easy though. It was top center.

Mudrat
01-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Got an '80 Cherokee Golden Eagle, 360 and 4-sp. Looking to get some ideas on where to look for a neusance water leak. When driven in rain, water leaks into the passenger side foot-well, comes down through the heater vent. I'm guessing a weep hole in the cowl area, but it really doesn't leak when it just sits while it rains. We thought it was in the wheel well, and tries sealing it with undercoateing and roofing tar, but didn't work. I heard this is a common thing with these trucks. Any one else?
Have you pressure washed the engine compartment? Did it leak then? If so there are a variety of places on the P-side under or around the battery tray - the computer harness, fan motor and the heater drain, bolts, etc.
If not pressure wash the windshield area for a few minutes. If you dont see any water, fold the windshield down and see if you've had encroachment past the rubber. This has been where mine have leaked in the past - air pressure pushes the water UNDER the rubber seal. If so you can get a new windshield seal OR I have used some 1/2 wide 1/4" thick door seal to stop the water from coming under the seal, it compresses nicely whan you put the winshield back up :wink:
Another area is the front door seal???
Let us know what you find out.

Mudrat

engine
01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I haven't pressure washed the engine compartment. I don't think this Jeep has a computer. Do you mean the main wire harness? When you say fold the wind shield down, you mean like the CJ7? this is a full size cherokee, the windshield doesn't fold down or anything. We sealed the windshield over, though. I don't think it's from there. \

Right now it's too frickin cold to do anything . I can't even spend 5 minutes in the garage without freezin' my butt off. I'm gonna have to wait till spring.

Mudrat
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I haven't pressure washed the engine compartment. I don't think this Jeep has a computer. Do you mean the main wire harness? When you say fold the wind shield down, you mean like the CJ7? this is a full size cherokee, the windshield doesn't fold down or anything. We sealed the windshield over, though. I don't think it's from there. \

Right now it's too frickin cold to do anything . I can't even spend 5 minutes in the garage without freezin' my butt off. I'm gonna have to wait till spring.
OOps :oops: Missed the Cherokee part before, I was thinking Golden Eagle Jeep :smile: Never had a problem with my Cherokees leaking :-| Might still be something in the engine compartment though since it only happens when your rolling and not sitting (that is right - - right?)?
And roger on the cold - my shop lost the heater a few days (weeks?) ago and it's buried under snow and sleet right now too!.

Mudrat

engine
01-29-2004, 11:17 PM
The Cherokee is a Golden Eagle.

Mudrat
02-12-2004, 09:47 PM
The Cherokee is a Golden Eagle.
Engine, this was the Golden Eagle I was thinking of... did you ever find the leak?

http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/CJ%20Golden%20Eagle.bmp

Mudrat :mrgreen:

Tigger
02-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Windshield seal, heater... etc all that was mentioned and also check the pass door seal, it could be running down and puddling in the floor if you aren't seeing a solid dripping from a certain area.

The pressure washer idea is a good one have someone spray while you look.

junkyard jim
03-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Here's your likely solution. (when it finally warms up) Remove the wiper arms and open the cowl (with the hood open you will see the screws) and then clean out all the leaves and junk that you can on either side. Next, put a light inside the cowl and if you look through the gap behind the fender when the door is open you should see light from the drain holes. If not, they are clogged with crud and you should poke them clear with a coat hanger or something.
After that, remove the vent covers on either side and pull out all the leaves and stuff stuck in there (I lubed the cables while I was at it. Someone had taken mine apart before and assembled it wrong so one side wouldn't open and the other wouldn't close!). I'd wear gloves because I found sharp stuff in there!
Mine was partially rusted in there, so I poked out the bottom to make sure no more water can build up.

Bulltear Ad