PDA

View Full Version : UP-Date2: Blown head gasket fixed! BLOWN and Fixed Again!!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Ram
12-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Have a 360 with over 250,000 miles on it and she blew the head gasket out on the 5th cylinder. Was only a coolant leak into the cylinder, no oil in water, no water in oil! Thanks for small wonders, but was a solid leak into the cylinder. Lots of blueish gray smoke from the tail when running. Shut off and started an hour later, had a kind of hydro lock thing going on that after the first go round of the crank it stopped, then one of the cylinders must have took and she started. I didn't like that at all, didn't know what damage could have happened, rod bearings, crank jornals, wrist pins all that went through my mine at once! Well, work and daylight not to mention the cold kept me from doing anything for the first two weeks. I finally decided to run some K&W block sealer through the coolant passageways and try and fix with that prior to cracking the bolts and breaking off things. The engine has so many miles it would be tough to just change head gaskets an not do lifters, valve job, timing chain, cam, you can get the picture. $$$ is adding up here, would be cheaper to find a runner from a junk yard. Well I followed all the directions to the "T" on that sealer and spent the past weekend flushing / drainging and opened all the cylinders (took out the plugs) to find which cyclinder was full, and number 5 shot out like a "Old Faithful" what a gusher! All the other plugs looked good, whirled the motor over, again with all the plugs execpt number 5. She started and blown all the rest of the crap out. Shut her down, filled with clear water and ran till warmed up. Flushed with a radiator flush, ran again, flushed, ran, flushed..... this went on and on until I was crystal clear in the radiator. Drained and added that coolant sealer. I followed the directions, mixed that 16 oz. can with 3 quarts of hot tap water. Added that to the drained radiator and then topped off with more water. Now I made sure I had all the water in the radiator when running again, I sealed the cap. Let "IDLE" for 45 minutes. Temp was fine, oil psi was fine and then shut off. Let cool and drained. This is the screwy part. When I drained the engine of all that sealant and water, I barley got a quart of crap out!!!! I don't know what happened to all that stuff? I have never used this product before, and don't know what its to do, but, it seams to have worked. I waited the prescribed 24hrs and then flushed the system again with plain water, and added coolant and water. Started up again, she ran fine. I drove her this week over 140miles so far, still holding all the anti-freeze and water, not a drop more into the overflow or out of it either!! Still can't explain what happened, but just hope she holds as long as I need to line up a doner engine from a 1998 or so to swap out.

Has anyone used this stuff or a similar product that can give me some info as to what has happed to all the stuff that was in the block? It didn't have any smoking while treating either!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!
Ram

jeepsr4ever
01-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Awesome...i have heard of block filler being used for that, ...LOL you may have gotten away with torquing donw the head.but probly not since the leak was going on for so long.

Ram
01-03-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm still driving her, and have over 275 miles since the treatment. I never thought of tighing the head bolts. This just came on to fast to have been those bolts, could be head warpage, don't know, to many miles and had been a Florida truck for its life from 86 (new) to 97 when my father in law died and I took over the truck. Had been pretty hot down in Orlando and that truck showed it. With all the miles on it now, I just don't even want to take off a valve cover unless, I have 2 things. One a wad of cash because I know I'll have to do a total rebuild and two, a replacement engine for my truck to keep her going! It could get ugly, she runs strong enough, just really showing her age, over 250,000 miles.

Rocky
01-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Probably a good time to start saving, and looking for an engine core, if you want to do a quick swap and keep it on the road.
Between the quick (and very possibly temporary) fix, and the high mileage, It would be a good policy to not drive anywhere you wouldn't want to walk back, or be towed back, from.
I ceratinly don't want to rain negativity on the sucess of your sealer job, but those sorts of products usually can't be counted on as long-term solutions. Besides.... at 250K, I think your engine might have been giving you a little hint that it's time for some TLC. Probably be a good idea to pay attention to what it's telling you!!
Your best options to keep down time to a minimum would be to either find a core and rebuild it, or buy a long block, and swap them out.
If you have the time and ability to do so, rebuilding a core can give you the best reliability (you can control every aspect of the rebuild) and the quickest turnaround (it'll come w/ manifolds, valve covers, oil pan, etc, so you can have it ready to go before you pull your old engine).
If you lack either the time or experience to rebuild an engine, you can buy a long block, and swap all the needed parts from your engine to it. If you go this route, take some time to research your rebuilders. Get recommendations from people who've used them before. There is a huge range in quality (from quite good to absolute junk) depending on the rebuilder. (I actually know of one eight cylinder long block that was shipped w/ only seven pistons! ...QC man must have had an off day....)

Mudrat
01-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Probably a good time to start saving, and looking for an engine core, if you want to do a quick swap and keep it on the road....
There is a huge range in quality (from quite good to absolute junk) depending on the rebuilder. (I actually know of one eight cylinder long block that was shipped w/ only seven pistons! ...QC man must have had an off day....)
Good advice..Hummm 7 pistons... sound familuar to anybody :? :roll:
Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
01-05-2004, 09:30 AM
7 pistons.......hmm no doesnt sound familiar :mrgreen: I am still looking for the 8th one 111!!!

Ram
01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Probably a good time to start saving, and looking for an engine core, if you want to do a quick swap and keep it on the road.
Between the quick (and very possibly temporary) fix, and the high mileage, It would be a good policy to not drive anywhere you wouldn't want to walk back, or be towed back, from.
I ceratinly don't want to rain negativity on the sucess of your sealer job, but those sorts of products usually can't be counted on as long-term solutions. Besides.... at 250K, I think your engine might have been giving you a little hint that it's time for some TLC. Probably be a good idea to pay attention to what it's telling you!!
Your best options to keep down time to a minimum would be to either find a core and rebuild it, or buy a long block, and swap them out.
If you have the time and ability to do so, rebuilding a core can give you the best reliability (you can control every aspect of the rebuild) and the quickest turnaround (it'll come w/ manifolds, valve covers, oil pan, etc, so you can have it ready to go before you pull your old engine).
If you lack either the time or experience to rebuild an engine, you can buy a long block, and swap all the needed parts from your engine to it. If you go this route, take some time to research your rebuilders. Get recommendations from people who've used them before. There is a huge range in quality (from quite good to absolute junk) depending on the rebuilder. (I actually know of one eight cylinder long block that was shipped w/ only seven pistons! ...QC man must have had an off day....)

You have a good point. I don't use her as a daily driver. Did get over 600 miles racked on the clock since the treatment. Still holding :? . Have to wait out the winter here in Virginia Beach, my garage is full of mother-in-laws furniture! Its just to cold to work out doors here in the winter!

I really want to find a 1998 Ram p/u or van with a 360 MPI, as a doner with all the wiring harness, computer, dash, etc... the whole shooting match and use that as then trash the rest of the truck for parts to totally modernize mine. I don't want to chance pouring money into my 86 engine and have to garbage it back up with all of that yr/model's polution crap that does not work at this time. It would take a ton of stuff to make all that old crap work again. Our state inspections just look at the equipment an see its still attached. No sniff check to date. I'm sure it won't be long then I'll be S.O.L. when that goes into effect. Going with the newer, more efficient engine an the computer with the MPI, that will pass any inspection with that all back on my year RC. I know that finding the right doner will take some time, and I do have to use this as a back-up and needed to be kept running. She will just have to hang on a little longer. If a doner is still not found before she goes south again, will find a running long block from a jy and slip that in as a hold over.
Thanks again.
RAM

Mudrat
01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
You have a good point. I don't use her as a daily driver. Did get over 600 miles racked on the clock since the treatment. Still holding :? . Have to wait out the winter here in Virginia Beach, my garage is full of mother-in-laws furniture! Its just to cold to work out doors here in the winter!Thanks again.
RAM

Ram,
Where you at in the Beach? Jack (Lifted79) is down aroundthe waterfront and I'm in Newport news and work by Mil Circle Mall. Were you at the Tidewater meeting Wed?

Mudrat

Ram
02-26-2004, 05:48 PM
You have a good point. I don't use her as a daily driver. Did get over 600 miles racked on the clock since the treatment. Still holding :? . Have to wait out the winter here in Virginia Beach, my garage is full of mother-in-laws furniture! Its just to cold to work out doors here in the winter!Thanks again.
RAM

Ram,
Where you at in the Beach? Jack (Lifted79) is down aroundthe waterfront and I'm in Newport news and work by Mil Circle Mall. Were you at the Tidewater meeting Wed?

Mudrat

Sorry for being out of the site a while, have had computer problems and working way to much.

I'm out here at the end of London Bridge Road, south of Oceana.

Don't know of any meeting that you mentioned, is that the Tidwater Off Roaders at Greenbrier Dodge, mostly Jeeps?

My beast is still running too, have not kept track of the miles must be over 1K at least.

Tigger
02-26-2004, 08:21 PM
7 pistons.......hmm no doesnt sound familiar :mrgreen: I am still looking for the 8th one 111!!!

Sounds familiar to me and I am still looking for an 8th 8) :razz:

Mudrat
02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi RAM sorry for the confuser problems---been there hate that!!
The Tidewater 4Wheelers meeting is at Greenbrier Jeep dealership on Mil HWY west of 264. We meet the second Wed of every month. And it's more than Jeeps, but I will say we are the majority ;-) Got some real old timers in the club - been Jeep'n since the CJ5 was first introduced!!!
Looks like the club will be supplying trail guides for Camp Jeep this summer too so come on down to a meeting and sign up!! You won't be able to take the RAM but you could shotgun and be a spotter?!?!?

Mudrat :mrgreen:

Sorry for being out of the site a while, have had computer problems and working way to much.
I'm out here at the end of London Bridge Road, south of Oceana.
Don't know of any meeting that you mentioned, is that the Tidwater Off Roaders at Greenbrier Dodge, mostly Jeeps?

My beast is still running too, have not kept track of the miles must be over 1K at least.

Ram
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm know of the dealer your talking about, have went to one meeting in 1995, just after getting my CJ-5. Just have not had the time to get structured and go to anymore. These web sites are the bomb, can be half asleep and still get on one or two and see whats happening. I do like going to the meets though, but have not gone to any in years. Again, my work and all the exciting things here at home have been taking all of my time. I have had to juggle all kinds of stuff in to go to Orlando and see my Mother who had a stroke in October of last year, and couldn't get off over Christmas time to go home and see her. I have decided to try and sell my CJ does, check the classified.

Lifted79CJ7
03-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey Ram, Like Mudrat said, I am over on 24th at the beach between arctic and baltic. Give me a shout and I'll come over an dhelp ya. I am rebuilding my 401 right now, so I can help ya yank a 360 apart like the back of my hand. Just let me know!
Jack
lifted79cj7@aol.com

Mudrat
03-03-2004, 06:07 AM
I may need y'alls help this weekend - my axles came in this morning. Complete from hub to hub all the disc brake stuff and the tie rods are freak'n huge!!
Shipping bill say's 664 LBS for a shipping weight - 2 axles, 2 spare shafts and 1 pallet so I'm guessing close to 320 LBS per axle - more than I can carry :!:

I do have rolling dollies in the shop though :t:

MATT WHERE ARE YOU !!!! :roll:

Ram
03-19-2004, 06:33 PM
I may need y'alls help this weekend - my axles came in this morning. Complete from hub to hub all the disc brake stuff and the tie rods are freak'n huge!!
Shipping bill say's 664 LBS for a shipping weight - 2 axles, 2 spare shafts and 1 pallet so I'm guessing close to 320 LBS per axle - more than I can carry :!:

I do have rolling dollies in the shop though :t:

MATT WHERE ARE YOU !!!! :roll:

Sorry to have missed all the fun, I have been on the road traveling with work to much this month. Have almost over 5,000 miles racked up just this month so far.

Mudrat
03-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Sorry to have missed all the fun, I have been on the road traveling with work to much this month. Have almost over 5,000 miles racked up just this month so far.

There's still hope - nobody showed up to help. Rob came by and we built his carrier, installed his 4.56's and did some spring work, but got nothing done on mine except out of the truck and in the shop :smile: And I've been pullin 85 hour weeks since then. 'Course he FINALLY brought some beer over (I think it's beer? the case is marked "Appalachian Trail Mix??), while I was gone #-o

I'll be working this weekend and getting back from Missouri late NEXT Sat night. Then I'll take a week off and get the CJ ready to roll for the "FL Campout" in April :?

Mudrat
Now it's time for bed

Lifted79CJ7
03-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Hey Pat, looks like I am gonna be a no show on the FL trip. :smile: Had a person quit at work, so I gotta pick up the slack until I can get someone else in and trained. Not only that, but installing an all new computer system in the hotel the night of the 14th, so if that thing crashes, I'm screwed. :( If you're still in town on Wed and want to kill some beers and get some work done on your Jeep, I'm down for it! I've been through the whole spring perch thing already, so I might be able to give a little asistance. :-|

Hey Ram, thanks again for the wheels and tires!!

Jack

Ram
03-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey Ram, thanks again for the wheels and tires!!

Jack

Not a problem Jack, glad to do business with you.

Anyone else looking for CJ stuff, please check the classiffied's.

And an up date on my RC's 360, she's still going strong with the sealer in the block. Glad of that too, still not warm enough to do anything outside for more then a couple hours. Not that I've been in town much lately either. Work, work, work, work thats the story of my life lately.

Gary

Ram
03-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Well this evening coming home from work in my RC the engine Blew the head gasket again. Its time for a doner now.

jeepsr4ever
03-26-2004, 10:27 PM
DANGIT :shock:

Lifted79CJ7
03-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Man, that blows! So when are we gonna yank that engine? Have you been over to You Wrench It on 17th/Virginia Beach Blvd? You can pick up a complete engine for like $200. Thing is you don't know the condition of the engine. Let me know if you need any help! :t:
Jack

Ram
04-03-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm here, not here, and here, and going again. Being in and out of town all the time lately, and trying to keep up with the e-mails that all the add's I have on all the Jeep boards have not had anytime at all for the RC. I'm hoping to find a used truck for a doner right now. Just don't have the time to haul some unknown from the jy! :(: I don't like getting burned anymore, has happened just one time to much. So if anyone see's a used and running "low" priced Dodge with a 360 any years LA engine will do right now that runs. In a radius of VA and its states, please drop me a line.

Ram
05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Well I have sealed the cooling system again. This time I have used another product called "BlueDevil". By all appearances it has worked up to this point. I don't think that the gasket will stay sealed for ever. Have to find a raplacement.

Bulltear Ad