PDA

View Full Version : AXLE question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
01-08-2004, 10:46 AM
What is involved in have Axles Cut and splined and where would i have something like that done???

I have a set of warn full-floating axles with universal shafts on the way for a dana 44. But b/c they are universal shafts they need to be cut and splined

Thanks
paul

jeepsr4ever
01-08-2004, 11:21 AM
You need to send them out, they can be resplined for 60-80 bucks. Check with your local 4wd center

diddycj5
01-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Other than towing a jeep, what is the reason for going to full-floating rear axles? That seems like an expensive upgrade.

Rocky
01-08-2004, 04:26 PM
FF axles suport each hub w/ two (instead of one) bearings, which is a stronger setup. Also, if an axle shaft breaks w/ a FF, the hub remains attached, so there's less chance of a mishap, and the vehicle can even limp back in FWD once the broken axle is removed. (Or, if you have a locker, it'll still be somewhat usable in 4x4, and can limp in RWD.)
W/ semi floating axles, one breaks and you'd better have a spare on hand, because you're stuck otherwise. (Plus it's no fun if your wheel falls off!)
Of course, w/ any type of axle, it's a good practice to carry spares if you're doing serious wheeling.

diddycj5
01-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Great explanation - thanks. You (or anyone else with this kit) should comment on how you like the FF once you have trail tested them. By the way, is there a cheap distributor for this kit. Most places charge ~$600+. Also did you go with the locking hubs or the flange kit? Besides the slightly added strength of the flanges vs the locking hubs, is there any other considerations between the two options?

pyagid
01-08-2004, 05:26 PM
well it looks like my deal on this fell through. truckperformance.com had the warn kits for the dana 44 universal shafts listed as 109.99 so i called yesterday to speak with a sales rep (b/c online prices are sometimes wrong) he said nope that is what it is listed as took my order and sent me an e-mail conformation. Today I recieved a e-mail saying it was canceled. The appear to have caught there mistake. SO when i have an extra $750 is when i will do this i guess

Paul

Bulltear Ad