PDA

View Full Version : SOA Shocks

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
01-10-2004, 09:21 PM
WIth SOA could i get away with using shocks set up for 4" suspension lift. Since i would move the shock mounting positions up ontop of the axle.

I am planing using either stock YJ springs or YJ springs with add-a-leaf

Paul

Rocky
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
It all depends on your suspension travel. A SOA setup will allow a lot of travel, even without using springs w/ a lot of arch. On both axles, You'll have to stuff one wheel all the way up into the wheel well and allow the other to drop to full droop, then measure the distance between shock mounting points on both sides.
It's one thing to have shocks long enough to allow full compression and rebound on level ground, but with one side fully compressed and the other at full droop, the compressed side has a shorter shock length than when the axle's level, and the droop side shock length is longer.
If you're going to the trouble to do a SOA, you probably don't want your shock length to limit your articulation.

MacGyver
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
obviously the most accurate way to determine what shocks you will need is to do the SOA, move the shock mounts and measure the distances at full comrpession and full droop.

But, I love having everything dialed-in to do the project in one weekend also. My YJ is SOA with 1.5" lift springs. I also moved the shock mounts to be level with the bottom of the axle. I am currently using the factory mounts, but I have those adapter mounts to fit your standard eye on a shock, and the shocks setup for a 4" lift would be about perfect.

Please let me know if I am unclear, its been a long day :-|

pyagid
01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Main reason i asked was I ran across BDS shocks for a 4" lift. and free shipping till tomorrow. I was originally planing on doing it the way Rocky said even though i would like it to be a 1 weekend project if i could. But I know there is never definate answer with these types of projects with exactly what parts to use

Paul

Bulltear Ad