PDA

View Full Version : 360 piston sources?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I am starting to compile a list of distributors that sell pistons for 360's. I am primarily looking for something around 8.5-9 comp ratio and am interested in seeing how much $$$ forged pistions would be compared to cast. However, I haven't found a single place that sells/makes forged 360 pistons. I am mostly looking online and haven't bothered calling anyone (jegs/summit/paw/etc) to see if they have pistons that they don't list in catalogs or online. Right now I am looking for either cast/forged pistons just to see what options are out there.

It seems like there are practically no aftermarket manufactures making anything for this engine. (at least you 401 guys can get forged Fed.Mogul. pistons). There also isn't much availablity in different compression ratios. I hate to say it, but building a SBC or SBF is much easier/cheaper. - (don't start sending hate mail - I am intensionally swapping a 360 for a 304 to keep my CJ a true AMC - I am a purest in that regard.) It would be great to start demanding attention from the aftermarket manufactures. - with the EFI/Al heads it looks like Edelbrock might finally be catching on - too bad they don't make rods/cranks/pistons.

It would be great to have a list of dist for "hard to find" parts for AMC's. I know that a lot of people spend a lot of time finding parts and decent prices for some parts and that most of this searching is duplicated by everyone who doing the same build. (maybe a new index in the forum where people can list where they find hard to find parts or great deals?) I would love to see a lot more of this info (not just 360 pistons) being shared.

jeepsr4ever
01-12-2004, 04:47 PM
I agree, I sell 360 pistons for $235 new (8 ) but they are cast and i only offer standard and .030 over

diddycj5
01-12-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree, I sell 360 pistons for $235 new (8 ) but they are cast and i only offer standard and .030 over

What compression ratio are these? I am assuming that these are nearly identical to the factory/stock pistons? .030 is probably OK since I am planning on having the block reworked. Also, can these be converted to full-float or do the pistons have to be designed differently for that? Ideally I would like full-float pistons but with the lack of basic options I am not holding my breath.

jeepsr4ever
01-12-2004, 05:13 PM
these are stockers, what head are you running....the last 4 digits will tell. Also i am not sure on the floating with stock pistons

diddycj5
01-12-2004, 05:39 PM
these are stockers, what head are you running....the last 4 digits will tell. Also i am not sure on the floating with stock pistons

I have 2 sets of heads to pick from: http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1073 so I haven't picked which heads I will use - but I probably should get the numbers of of each block/head/etc. BTW, what head differences over the years would make a difference in piston selection? (I thought there was very little differences in heads over the years).

What compression is your pistons/stock? (I can't believe that I don't know this one already)

jeepsr4ever
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
8.5 stock with your heads

dhawker
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I am rebuilding my tired 360 and am looking for a source for high compression pistons (10:1 or so). I am running on LPG gas and am building the engine strickly for LPG usage. I am planning on stainless valves, roller-tip rockers and hardened valve seats, new RV Cam (I think Summit 8600) and lifters, new valve springs and high-compression pistions. I seem to be able to locate everything but the pistons unless I am willing to pay $700 for forged units which would be overkill for this engine. I am planning on using it for a daily driver with the odd day of towing my travel trailer. Any suggestions?

Dalan Hawker

jeepsr4ever
03-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Why in the 10's for compression you can run propane comfortably in the 9's the higher the compression the more expensive the AMC piston it seems. I would love to convert my Cj-7's 401 over this summer for extreme angles. Have you found a source for components?

Lifted79CJ7
03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Shooo Dalan, I am having the same problem finding them for my 401. LEt me know what you find out. I have found a few good sources, but then it turns out to be not what I need. :-| Back to the drawing board....
Jack

dhawker
03-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Venolia has some 10.2's (forged) but the cost is around $680. Maybe we can convince Bulltear that they should make some at a better deal.

dhawker
04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Has anyone tried the new Edelbrock heads with stock or slightly higher compression pistons? They advertise that the heads will increase compression ratio to 9.5:1 which would work not too bad for my LPG application and the cost of cast pistons verses having to go with forged pistons to get higher compression may be worth the benefits that the aluminum heads with give me. What benefits would I get going this route vs. high compression forged pistons and the stock heads?
Any ideas or thoughts out there on this one?

Mudrat
04-20-2004, 07:55 PM
I am running on LPG gas and am building the engine strickly for LPG usage.
Dalan Hawker

Dalan, you're running LP Gas now? How has that worked out for you? I asked a bunch of questions earlier and didn't get many replies. I too am interested in the hardware your passing it thru and into the cyclinders. I'm also curious about your 'milage' and how you have the tank set up. This would be a great "How To" post - a '360 vapor build-up'.

TIA
Mudrat :mrgreen:

dhawker
04-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I can't comment yet on how well it works since I started ripping the jeep apart a couple days after I got it. I purchased it at an auction near my home for $1100/Canadian (that's about $750 American);-). It was already converted to LPG when I purchased it. The tanks are located under the backend where the spare tire should be. The original gas tank has been removed as well as all the smog control equipment. I drove the jeep around town for about 2 hours while I still had the insurance (the day I bought it). I love sticking my head out the power sunroof. It seemed to run well but I know LPG engines take a hit in power unless they are built strictly for using LPG. The previous owner never did anything to the engine that I can see execpt add the propane convertion. Since it had about 255 Thousand Kilometers on the engine I decided it was a time to have it rebuilt properly for propane use (stainless valves, hardened seals, higher compression, HEI ignition, magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter system, etc). I am taking digital pictures along the way and will give a report as I go. So far I have taken a heck of alot of things apart and put very little back together, but I am having a great time doing it and am getting a huge tool collection in the process!

Dalan

Mudrat
04-22-2004, 05:48 PM
I am taking digital pictures along the way and will give a report as I go. So far I have taken a heck of alot of things apart and put very little back together, but I am having a great time doing it and am getting a huge tool collection in the process!

Dalan
Thanks for that info - and keep us posted with the pics and progress (and the tool collection :? ) You can never have too many of the right ones :lo1l:

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad