PDA

View Full Version : AMC vs BB Chevy 454

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

XtremeOverKill
01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
This may be lengthy to explain but it will do justice to what I'm trying to do.

I have an AMC 360 in my garage that I'm working on right now.

The college of Engineering's Drag Race Motor is a BB Chevy 454.

I'm going to rebuild both of these, but I would like to see what benefits it would be to put the AMC in place of the BB 454. From sheer numbers alone this looks like a stupid feat... but I'm seeking your advice none the less.

Further,
I will be writing a proposal for rebuilding the 454. What parts sources, and/or suggestions, and pitfalls would you reccomend that I keep my eye out for.

ON the other hand I will also be presenting a proposal to take the AMC 360 and build it up in place of the 454. What are the benefits/defficits of replaceing the BB with the AMC? And what parts would you reccomend that I put or at least look into, to make the AMC as formidible as the BB?

Here are some further specs:
Current State of the BB 454:
It is a DONATED 454, Bored 0.060 over. Last dyno pull that it made, it didn't pull over 300 HP - something sounds wrong to me here too -
The guy who built it, didn't build it for a drag application, didn't balance, didn't polish anything. So basically he put a new cam in it - I dont know the specs right now - otherwise its a PLANE JANE rebuild.

Although we are a drag race team, I doubt that we'll push over 6,000 RPM for a while.

Transmission is a 2 speed Powerglide

The AMC... other than haveing a cast crank and rods, the rest of it can be built to almost any specs. So here lets hold very little back. I had plans for it being a street engine, but if I can sell it to the team, and keeping it under 6,000 RPM, the cast elements shouldn't be a problem. But Ok I know you guys are going to suggest a 401 crank and rods... lets assume that to be accepted that when I find a 401 crank and rods I'll get them. OK well what else would a Drag Race built AMC requre?

-Thanks in advance
Mike

fuzz401
01-22-2004, 09:19 AM
balance and blue print the motor
internal oil line
gasket match all ports
arp bolts and studs for rods-crank-heads
port and polish the ex runners
port and polish the intake runners
roller rockers and screw in studs and guide plates
free floating pistons
forged pistons
ror gaskets
torker intake
650 + carb
headers
th-400 tranny out of a jeep with tailshaft from a chevy or adapter for amc to powerglide tranny
mondella sfi flexplate
some thing in the 290 duration solid cam
3500 + stall converter
if have the money larger intake and ex valves

Elliott
01-25-2004, 10:24 AM
How about going radical?
I don't know if Program's 4bolt main caps work on the 360 (they were designed for the 401), but that would give you a solid bottom end for a 401 crank (or Moldex 401), ch*vy BB rods and pistons to match a set of 4.374" sleeves to put you at 500CI w/4.150 stroke.
INDY is pulling 800hp out of their aluminum set up with a similar build, running stock heads you could probably get around 700hp w/o even adding nitrous.

Bulltear Ad