PDA

View Full Version : Headgaskets? (long rant)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FSJnovice
01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
bought FSJ everything works little repairs all over, parked in carport after driving it 28 plus miles. Start it everyday, noticed after a week of this the upper hose was expanded about twice its size. Let it cool checked oil and it was half a quart over on stick more than before. drained it changed it twice got water out of it still runs albiet a lot better with the cleaner oil in it just mad it happened will tear it down later. price was not more than what I could get for complete drive train and other exterior parts still mad though. does not knock and has good oil pressure still mad

Rocky
01-23-2004, 03:10 AM
...or could be cracked head or block.
Just the water in the oil might have been leaking intake gasket, but the swollen hose is a pretty good indication of exhaust gasses entering the cooling system. The gasket is the most common culprit, but don't just replace the gasket w/o checking for the other possibilities, even if you do find the gasket to be bad.

Your experience reminds me of a sad story I happend to be a part of.
...A guy brought me an expesive V6 sportscar some years ago (no not an AMC)... The dealer had diagnosed his problem as a bad timing belt, and he didn't want to pay dealer prices for the repair.... Fair enough... I could save him some money on the job...
My first clue that there was something else wrong came when the crank wouldn't turn to align the timing marks.... Called him up to tell him that he was in for a much bigger repair... Only to hear him protest as though I had caused him the problem.... Well, a quick check of things turned up a rod through the side of the block, and a broken crankshaft. (Turn one end, and the other doesn't budge!!) The owner still protested.... couldn't believe that such a thing would happen to him... said the first thing he did when it stopped running was to check the oil... which was right on the mark.... I pulled the stick myself and, sure enough, there was oil right up to the "full" mark... Naturally I wasn't satisfied there... I pulled the drain plug next, and out came...... coolant! ... at least a gallon of it! ...with about an inch of oil floating on top... which was the only oil that was in his expensive engine when it decided to let go, due to lack of lubrication.... just enough to float on top of all the coolant that gushed into the pan when parts started flying around inside.... and give a full reading on the stick.
Moral of the story: It's always a good idea to check the oil before the engine breaks down! ...And dealerships don't always know what they're talking about.

jeepsr4ever
01-23-2004, 09:38 AM
IT is at least a head gasket. Sounds like you have a little tear down to perform

junkyard jim
02-29-2004, 10:44 PM
I had a similar problem. Turned out my headbolts weren't retorqued when they were supposed to be and I just retorqued them and the problem went away. Some intake manifolds are known to leak water into the oil as well.

ironroad 32
05-28-2004, 07:34 PM
be a good time for a cam and intake swap

Bulltear Ad