PDA

View Full Version : 360 Carb Questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Too Much Fun
01-23-2004, 07:36 PM
I am building a 79 360 for a CJ5 and can't decide what to do with the factory carb. I was told by the guy I got it from that it has a 3 barrel motorcraft carb. He also told me that this stock motor was more than sufficient for what I wanted to do and that I wouldn't be able to shift gears fast enough. It is so dirty that I haven't verified the motorcraft part yet, but it is on a 2 barrel manifold. This motor sat for a few years but he assured me that it ran when the vehicle was taken off the road. The block and heads are at the shop getting cleaned up and they are sound except for a valve job. My question is-should I try to resurect this set-up or spend over $500 :smile: on a new Edelbrock set? Anybody here use the stock stuff? Thanks for the help!!

jeepsr4ever
01-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Sure you can use stock stuff, you wont exactly ge tthe performance you want out of it but your engine may idle better up a hill or at a slant with stock items vs edelbrock intake and carb...Going aftermarket gives you big gains...let me know if you go edelbrock as i am getting that stuff in and can swing deals

pyagid
01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I have a edelbrock performer on mine. And am running a q-jet carb that i told the auto parts store I needed one for a 1970 Camaro cost me $135 and it runs great.

FSJnovice
01-24-2004, 04:58 PM
pyagid did you use an adapter, or any other items to get q-jet to work right. I have a 727 wondering about linkage and such, I do have a extra q-jet carb if it will work with minimal or no adaption work. All I have to get is edelbrock intake if so. Thanks for info.

pyagid
01-24-2004, 10:39 PM
the only adapter i used is a MR. Gasket Q-jet adapter I think it was $15. I have heard people have problems ging through gaskets. But I have yet to have that problem. I also installed a manual choke. But have a t-18 so did not have to do anything with kick down linkage or any other adapter. IT was an easy swap. and it runs great

Paul

FSJnovice
01-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks that is one area of the jeep taken care of.

FrankNB
07-29-2004, 09:32 AM
you wouldn't have the part number by any chance?

pyagid
07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
you wouldn't have the part number by any chance?

Mr Gasket? or Carb part number?
Carb autozone Part Number is 3-78A

i selected a carb for a 1970 Camaro with 350 5.7 liter, and 4 brrl carb

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/CHR/3-78A.jpg

FrankNB
07-30-2004, 05:13 AM
Silly me 111!!! , I meant the part # for the gasket... I ordered the Summit SUM-G1401... I kinda find stupid the way they do business there and at Jeg's.. they charge you a 8$US "handling" fee.. What the hell is that anyway? They give you a good price and in return, to thank you for your business charge you 10$ for buying there, I find that very arrogant... Anyway, here's what it is..

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g1401.jpg

How did you find setting up the carb? Any issues, did you have to toil with it alot?

pyagid
07-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Yep thats the adapter I used. ANd I pulled my carb out of the box, bolted it on, and ran it. It is running a little rich now. Its about 1 year later but I have not touched it since the day I put it on except to install the manual Choke this winter.

I think i had to play with the throttle cable bracket, and fuel inlet line a little to have every thing line up properly, But overall it was not that bad.

BRAD ARTHUR
07-31-2004, 06:00 PM
I RAN A 500CFM PERFORMER ON MY 304, CHANGED IT TO A Q-JET THOUGHT I NEEDED BIGGER .........UH??? THE CARB WAS OFF A 77 CHEVY TRUCK THAT HAD SAT FOR A COUPLE YEARS BOLTED IT ON WITH THAT ADAPTER AND HAD NO PROBLEMS, BUT I AM ALSO RUNNING A T 18. THE BIG SECONDARIES ARE NICE, REALLY OPENED IT UP WHEN YOU PUNCHED ON IT. CHANGED TO A 1405 600 CFM PERFORMER CARB WHEN I REBUILT THE ENGINE, NOT MUCH DIFF. THE Q-JET MAY HAVE HAD ALITTLE MORE UMF WHEN YOU PUNCH IT. BUT I TINKERED WITH THE QJET ALOT. STILL TRYING TO DIAL IN THE 1405 TO FIND THE BEST A/F SEEMS LIKE I CAN'T GET IT RICH ENOUGH. THERE IS A SMALL HICK UP OR BOG WHEN COLD AND YOU PUNCH IT ,BUT THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE NO MATTER WHAT CARB AND BEFORE OR AFTER THE REBUILD?? STILL FIGURING IT OUT. WITH TRHE 1405 AND THE RICHEST JETS IN THE KIT IT HAS GONE AWAY. STILL HAPPENED, BUT ONLY A FEW TIMES.

Bulltear Ad