PDA

View Full Version : Need an answer

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

scrubz20
01-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Hey guys, heres my situation. I'm getting ready to put a new motor in my jeep, 'cause the one thats in it is just tired and i really dont think theres much hope left for it. I'm probably gonna order a long block kit from advance auto parts or autozone or something when my taxes get back. I've decided to go back with the same 304, and I've already ordered a little bigger cam for it. But my question is this: Where can I find a gear drive for it instead of a timing chain? I've looked EVERYWHERE, Jegs, Summit, JC Whitney......I'm stumped....maybe one for another application would work?? I really dont know. any help or advice, or maybe some constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.. Bobby

jeepsr4ever
01-24-2004, 09:08 AM
IF you are ordering a long block that is 3cast (crank rods pistons) you probly arent hitting over 5500rpm or maybe not even close, therefor you may want to sidestep the ger drive in favor of the double roller timing chain. Gear drives are very expensive for AMC V8's and the advantage comes when you are running high rpm's. A double roller will wear out faster however the last time i check their was like $300.00 between the roller adn gear with gear beign very expensive, but it is your engine

scrubz20
01-24-2004, 03:03 PM
my current engine has never seen more than 4500.....mainly cause im scared its gonna blow if i give it much more, lol. i want somethin thats gonna last. i think mine has skipped a tooth on the timing chain as it is, it stopped runnin one morning after i got off of work, and it wouldnt crank back.....we moved the distributer about 3 inches and it cranked, but it feels weak as hell.....no power at all. that and its burned oil since the day i got it, and i have to replace the plugs every couple of months....i just think a new one would be alot easier

Rocky
01-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Gear drive? Why?
Jeep engines are usually built for low end torque, not high revs.
Ordering a long block is fine, but be careful who you get it from. The range in quality goes from very good to total junk. Do some real research on the rebuilders you're interested in. (I would suggest only purchasing directly from a good rebuilder, NOT a chain store.)
Also... it strikes me as a bit odd that you've ordered a cam kit if you are planning to buy a long block. Why buy something twice? You can order the long block built w/ an "RV" cam, and have the same thing, save the extra cost of the cam kit (just pay a small upcharge for the RV cam) and have the cam already installed when you get the long block.
Finally, you might want to think about upgrading to a 360. It will bolt right in, in place of the 304, all the accessorys will bolt right up to it, and you will have a good increase in power and torque. You might have to pay the core charge for the 360, since most rebuilders wouldn't take the 304 as a core on a 360, but for the $200-300 core charge, you'll be getting more performance then you'd be able to get from putting tons of expensive high-performance parts on the 304. (And you might even be able to get a few dollars for your rebuildable 304 from someone looking to upgrade from a six.)

FSJnovice
01-24-2004, 05:25 PM
From what I have read in this board and other board thier members are stating buy a motor and have it built to specs the way you want it. Sometimes this is not easy depends if you have another vehicle to drive. Most others say stay away from all chain store motors, also depends on what is easiest for you. Whatever you decide post and put pics here and let us all see how it goes.

Mudrat
01-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey guys, heres my situation. I'm getting ready to put a new motor in my jeep, 'cause the one thats in it is just tired and i really dont think theres much hope left for it. I'm probably gonna order a long block kit from advance auto parts or autozone or something when my taxes get back.
Bobby, I agree 100% with Rocky,
Ordering a long block is fine, but be careful who you get it from. The range in quality goes from very good to total junk. Do some real research on the rebuilders you're interested in. (I would suggest only purchasing directly from a good rebuilder, NOT a chain store.) The autozone engines around here last as long as the 3000 mile warranty. Why not get one and build it yourself? Hot tank, line bore, decked and popped 30 over is only about $550 here. AND that's if its a 304, 360 or 401!!!
And like FSJnovice said pics Pics PIC!!!

Mudrat

scrubz20
01-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Gear drive? Why?
Jeep engines are usually built for low end torque, not high revs.
.)

cause i like the way they sound.....i dont know why........i just know i DONT want to have another timing chain skip a tooth, its a pain in the ass.

If not autozone or advance, then i dont know of anywhere else around here to get a new motor from...i mean we DO have a local 4 wheel drive center around here, but the owner is a crook, and plus the fact that i pissed him off 'cause he said that a borg warner t-5 tranny would NEVER fit under a cj5 and I DID IT and came back and rubbed it in his face (quite humorous, you shouldda seen the look on his face)....napa maybe??? im open to suggestions here.....

I really wanna stay with the 304 to "keep it real" so to speak, lol.....i mean my GOD the thing will tote the front tires as it is, I think i've got enough in the power department

as for already ordering the cam......i dunno i guess im just dumb and didnt think about it that way.....I think I'm entitled to an off day every now and then...

jeepsr4ever
01-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Youknow i am partial to the sounds as well, Ive done a couple of chbby 377's with gear drives they turned out well (not to be using the C-word though guys. :shock: ) Now who does the gear drives these days for AMC and im not talking milodon

scrubz20
01-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, just got back from advance auto parts. priced a reman. 304...$1300.00 and thats completely O.E.M. and they WILL NOT build it to your specs. OUCH!! theres another place around here that I heard can order Jasper sngines, I'll check them out tomorrow.

Bulltear Ad