PDA

View Full Version : Howel TBI questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
01-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Since the Edelbrock or custom MPFI is too expensive I am looking at other options. I have heard that the Howel TBI system is pretty decent and can be picked up for around $800-900. Has anyone out there run this kit? Also, it seems that Quadratec/4wd.com only sell the 2bbl kit and they want $1200. I know that they are not going to be the best price. Anybody know anybody cheaper?

Also, I heard that the Howel system can be integrated with a GM style HEI distributor for better performance/fuel economy - especially when running at altutitude. For my 360 rebuild project I already bought a Mallory Unilite, Promaster coil and Hyfire IIIA box off ebay. However, I have no idea if you can hook the Mallory Unilite/Hyfire system into the Howel like with the HEI. Does any body know if that will work? I am not opposed to reselling the Mallory system and going with a HEI if that is the only way to go. Any suggestions?

Since several of the trails I run in CO get up to 11-12,000+ft, I currently have issues keeping my stock 304 with the 2bbl 2100 carb running. (I hate that carb). I have rebuilt the carb, down jetted it (I acutally found a place with 20yr NOS jets for the carb - I bought out their inventory) and it still runs like crap - blows power valves and runs too rich. I am sick of carbs and like the idea of either MPFI or TBI.

XtremeOverKill
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
I would suggest too looking into Propane Power

I've seen 2 vehicles successuflly run propane, and the more research I learn/hear about it the better it sounds.

Mudrat
01-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Howel TBI system is pretty decent and can be picked up for around $800-900. Has anyone out there run this kit?
Nope, be curious what you find out though.

Howel system can be integrated with a GM style HEI distributor for better performance/fuel economy - especially when running at altutitude.
Don't see why not unless the Howell system interfaces injector timing with spark - but I don't see why???

Propane Power
I've heard and seen propane powered vehicles - is the cost per mile actually better? Power?? And are Propane service stations common? Here on the penninsula, we only have propane tanks at places like U-Haul??

Mudrat

ROBERT11
01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Propane is pretty convenient, think of all the accesories you can hook up--grill, turkey frier, etc. :roll: I

Seriously though, with my 350 I would love the Edelbrock system but the price... :-| Hey MC what's your discount on that?

jeepsr4ever
01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Edelbrock isnt speaking on it right now, they dont have jack squat for markup on their items..I am seriously surprised

ROBERT11
01-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Doesn't MPFI add around 45 ponies? :-|

jeepsr4ever
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
easy with replacing a stock 2bbl intake :t:

ROBERT11
01-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I have TBI, #-o .

Mudrat
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I have TBI, #-o .
Whoop-d-do :? I'm not impressed, remember I've been under and inside your ride 8) . When are you coming by to fix those shock mounts so it's SAFE???

'Rat

ROBERT11
01-30-2004, 01:47 PM
I'll be by for that after I get my lift. I think I'll take a week off of work to play with my long neglected :car4: You don't think I was joking about :director: you to driving me to the part store. I'll pay for gas with :razz: after we are done with that we can go :rightfighter1:

Mudrat
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I'll be by for that after I get my lift. I think I'll take a week off of work to play with my long neglected :car4: You don't think I was joking about :director: you to driving me to the part store. I'll pay for gas with :razz: after we are done with that we can go :rightfighter1:

OK Fine :(: Just remember Chickahominy is closed...

'Rat

ROBERT11
01-30-2004, 08:18 PM
The rumor is some one blew up the outhouse.

Bulltear Ad