Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
01-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Anybody know this guy?
http://greatvehicles.chooseyouritem.com/classics/files/56500/56875.html

Mudrat

Tigger
01-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Dont know the guy but there is some nice stuff there....

Rocky
02-01-2004, 02:19 AM
...Some nice stuff, but neither rhyme nor reason as to how it's put together...

I hate to knock a rig that somebody's obviously put a lot of time and money into, but it really isn't much more than a showboat (or as the hot rodders in the 60s would say, "all show and no go".)

It has upgraded axles, front and rear, but with only 3.73s, and he's running 38s! (Plus no mention of lockers.)
It's got a 350 in it, but w/ the drivetrain behind it, it can't put much power to either pavement or dirt. The T5 isn't geared low enough to get any torque to those 38s via 3.73s, and w/ the (apparantly stock) D 300, his crawl ratio is less than 40...again w/ 38s!!! Plus, what good is a 5 speed in a rig that's set up to where you'd have to be doing something like 85 MPH to get it into fifth gear?? (And I don't know of any good reason to go that fast in any CJ5 ..let alone one that's that high off the ground!)
He's put in racing seats and harnesses which are anchored to a cross bar... which would be good, except... it doesn't have a full cage.
I would guess that there are probably more engineering oversights, too... like, I wonder how long that Z'd drag link would last in any serious offroading.

... All in all, I can't think of many uses that this rig would be much good for.. It's sure to be a dog off the line, way too tippy for corners, undergeared and underbuilt (aside from a few random components) for offroading...
With all that shiny paint and big lift and tires 'n' all, I guess it'd be good for cruising the boulevard, trolling for gawkers. ...but then, why the axle swap? As long as the 350 makes noise and the thing moves, 'taint no need to make it any stronger.... after all, you're only going to be doing 5MPH on pavement, anyway!!

Mudrat
02-01-2004, 06:39 AM
WOW Rocky very through evaluation. I didn't even get to the spec sheet - I was just wondering if anybody knew this guy :shock:

Going back and looking at the pics, for a show truck the brushguard is 'OK', fenders trimed to fit rubber (and the fronts look like they've been shaped), but you're right on the 'Z' rod. Even staying on road the torque from turning those meats (left and right, not roundy-roundy) would flex it some I'll bet. But you gotta admit, they're some good looking meats!! And if you look at the rear, the dif is rotated up ALOT and gets it's lift from blocks on an SOA. (without traction bars - imagine the axle wrap when he dumps the clutch!)
And the engine ... steal braided lines (or covers) an optima battery, etc. Can't tell the plug wires, but the carb is an Edlbrock. He does have some nice stuff on it - just not enough or maybe the "right stuff" to get it done off road.
But as the guy said in the ad, "... a two year project ... a multiple show winner... This is not for the faint of heart (cause the price! -pat) ... Has never seen mud"

So he has an Ill showtruck :!:

Mudrat

rollen dean montoya
02-03-2004, 09:37 PM
it's nice but you can't go into any bad areas. nice show jeep, thats all
it is. if i bought another jeep its goin to get muddy, and go wherever
i decide to go. i do that in my eagle now without the low range :mrgreen:
later ,dog :lo1l:

thigh19
05-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Guess it all depends on how you use the power. Case in point, My 73 Commando at one point was running 40" Gumbo Mudder(dating myself here) on stock 30 and 44 axles with 3.73's. Power plant was a warmed over 304AMC with a tunnel ram and nos. The rear was power lock and the front was Lincon locked. Ran a 200 foot mud pit in 7+ seconds and never broke an axle and was able to spin up the tires to a decent speed. Luck of the draw? Probably, but it worked.

Lifted79CJ7
05-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Shoo, I say just drop another $2000 at it for gears, lockers, high-steer and a traction bar and beat the snot out of that thing! Overall, I have to agree that it is definitely a show truck. Did you check out the pic of the engine - purty shiney! That thing has a lot of good parts, but just needs a few more to be trail worthy. Man I would love to beat the crap out of that thing!
Jack

Bulltear Ad