PDA

View Full Version : Gauge troubles

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Redemption
01-31-2004, 07:09 PM
well I bought a triplegauge kit )the one that has the volts, oil pressure and temp). well the instructions that came with it were very instructional at the least. Doesnt tell me what goes where, etc etc. well I am curious as to if someone has installed this type of gauge kit before and if so, can you help me out with what goes were. the voltage one, I got figured out( as it wasnt that hard to understand where the volts came from.) but the other two, well yeah, dont want to screw something up, rather ask the pro's.

btw, incase you dont know this is a 72 javelin amx with the 401 6.6lt (if that makes a differance)

jeepsr4ever
01-31-2004, 08:03 PM
what plug ins are on the others, temp is a wire that goes from the front of the intake manifold on the drivers side (small brass guage) one wire. The oil pressure is on the passenger side of the block on the side near the front again, one wire.

Redemption
01-31-2004, 08:38 PM
well the car never came with a factory oil pressure(or warning) gauge, so would that wire still be there? and the temp gauge came with what appears to be a long copper wire with im guessing a thermostat that screws into something or another.

jeepsr4ever
01-31-2004, 08:43 PM
No oil pressure guage! LOL check the dies of the block like in the post above and the top for the temp

Redemption
02-01-2004, 01:31 PM
someone else told me that I might need some sort of tube kit for the oil pressure gauge. as for checking the dies, no clue what that means. Im an idiot. lol

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2004, 04:30 PM
if it is a mechanical type it should have came with a tube, does it have a electrical connector on the back or a hole?

Redemption
02-01-2004, 07:34 PM
it has a hole. I took it back and got a new one, cause the old one was supposed to have the tube but didnt, the new one does. so now that I have the tube, where exactly do I put it?

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2004, 10:27 PM
you will have to find a mechanical sending unit that attaches to the block, search or call summitracing.com

Rocky
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
No sending unit needed, from what appears to be included with the gauge set. The oil pressure feed tubed needs to be tapped into the pressurized oiling system w/ a fitting. A good gauge should come with various fittings to fit different engines. Even if the vehicle didn't come with an oil pressure gauge, it should have come with an idiot light, which will have a sender. Repalce the sender with the fitting for the oil tube. If your gauge has plastic tubing, repalce it with copper. The plastic tends to break, which, if it happens inside the vehicle, can be very messy.
Your water temperature gauge sounds like it's mechanical, too. The thermocouple needs to be installed into a water passage in the head. If you're lucky, there might already be a threaded plug in a hole that can be used. Another possibility is finding a thermostat housing with provision for installing it.
The volt meter is easy. The positive side should wire to an "ignition hot" source and the negative to ground.

Bulltear Ad