PDA

View Full Version : timing cover modification / fabrication

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

blmk9999
02-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Has anyone thought of casting a new timing cover, completely machining off the AMC oil pump and gears off of the timing cover? The new timing cover would have a new area to seal on the block and expose both the oil inlet and outlet to the block. Machine the nice round holes so you could then use a pully driven dry sump motor instead of the AMC pump/gears (Milodon dual sump pan and braided plumbing).

If this is possible / practicle?

Thanks,

Mark

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Sure they do but they are designed for the new blocks, I guess with the good (LOL) luck on the replacement covers their hasnt been a need for it :-|

blmk9999
02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
I have a similar post on the AMC forum and according to a reply there, the Indy timing cover fits the stock block with a provision to use an external oil pump chrysler oil pump.

I do not know if you have to use an external chrysler pump, but it would be interesting to see if you could use an external pump that would out flow/pressure/perform the stock AMC oil pump.

Comments?

Thanks,

Mark

jeepsr4ever
02-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I believe that the Indy fornt cover fits the new 401 blocks only..Not sure on that one though, My indy books dont list it .......BUT :-|

Bulltear Ad