PDA

View Full Version : How far can I move a AMC v8 forward in a CJ-7?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

78304CJ-7
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
As some point this spring my 304 will be replaced with a 401. Has anyone moved their V8 forward? I am thinking of going to an electric fan and trying to move the engine foward about 2-3 inches. My jeep is in storage so I'm not sure if it can be done or with ease or not.

The reason for it is a NV4500/D300 will be going under my jeep and I would like to move the whole thing forward to try to get some more drive line length as the unit is considerably longer then the T-18 swap I was going to do. I figured by doing this I can also get my shifter farther foward in a more "stock" location. I noticed it ended up like this when this guy swapped it in:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/nvint.jpg

in this swap.

I figure if I can move it foward I can use my original T-18 hole and get it to line up better and kill two birds with one stone. Not to mention I like the idea of electric fan as I can shot it off for water crossings. :agree:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/3c/29/59_1.JPG

I figure the v8 being shorter then then a 258 6 I should be able to to it no prob I just have to unbolt my mounts and weld/bolt a few inches further foward. Any thoughts on this and problems that might arise?? I am sure I'm missing something here. Also any pics to whomever has done this would be great! ( I am looking for idea's )

-RJ

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
If you use a extremely thin fan or a fan in front of the rad you can use up to 2.5"s in your engine bay, carefull for linkage though

RandyJ
02-02-2004, 07:57 AM
I moved mine 1.5" forward even though I didn't need to, that also raised it up some because the frame goes up over the axle in that area. My fan is reasonably close to the radiator now, so I personally wouldn't want to move mine any more.

78304CJ-7
02-02-2004, 12:50 PM
RandyJ,

Ok your name is freaking me out a bit, my first nane is Randy and my last name starts with J.... :razz: .

Why did you move it forward? Was it a AMC v8? Did you run into any clutch linkage questions? I will be running a MILDON deep pan, think I might have any issues with my diff moving it forward?

-RJ

fuzz401
02-02-2004, 01:18 PM
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/39972b2a.jpg

my 401 stock location and raddy in stock location with elec fan not much room to water pump pully

RandyJ
02-05-2004, 04:58 AM
RandyJ,

Ok your name is freaking me out a bit, my first nane is Randy and my last name starts with J.... :razz: .

Why did you move it forward? Was it a AMC v8? Did you run into any clutch linkage questions? I will be running a MILDON deep pan, think I might have any issues with my diff moving it forward?

-RJ

:-| Good name, good initials :lo1l: My first name is Randy, last name starts with a J :t:

I moved it forward for two reasons... to get the fan closer to the radiator and to improve drive shaft lengths. Had I squeaked it another 1.5" forward my front and rear drive shafts would have been the same length.

Because I pushed everything so far forward, and lifted it up, I had an easy time putting a flat skid plate in to get allot of clearance. I have 22" under my skid plate using 4" SUA springs and Q78 tires, no other lift.

Bulltear Ad