PDA

View Full Version : Need help (yet again)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Redemption
02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Ok I got the carburetor on as everyone helped me do so, that part is done, and fron what I understand, everything is correct. now then. I repaced the alternator a few weeks back, but the alternator light has still stayed on, so last night i took it back to make sure and got a new one, as well as a new alternator belt. now the alt light has goen off, good stuff. now when I hit the gas, the oil light fades on, and fades off. i made sure that is is good on oil. I went to take it out for a drive tonight, but the car was behaving badly. it was stumbling,sputtering, not being totally responsive to the throttle. backfired once, and shut off on me once. I knew I had gas, so I can rule that out. its getting fuel as well, checked the lines. all the vacuum lines seem to be intact after a visual inspection. what is going on?

I checked the alternator wires, and I have them hooked up exactly the way the orignal one was(when I got it) So it may be wrong, but i am not sure. any help is really appricated.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pc0cf9279744b88fb5e3d05d461505ea8/f9b20180.jpg.orig.jpg

Mudrat
02-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Ok I got the carburetor on as everyone helped me do so, that part is done, and from what I understand, everything is correct. now then. I repaced the alternator a few weeks back, but the alternator light has still stayed on, so last night i took it back to make sure and got a new one, as well as a new alternator belt. now the alt light has gone off, good stuff. now when I hit the gas, the oil light fades on, and fades off. i made sure that is is good on oil. I went to take it out for a drive tonight, but the car was behaving badly. it was stumbling,sputtering, not being totally responsive to the throttle. backfired once, and shut off on me once. I knew I had gas, so I can rule that out. its getting fuel as well, checked the lines. all the vacuum lines seem to be intact after a visual inspection. what is going on?

I checked the alternator wires, and I have them hooked up exactly the way the orignal one was (when I got it) So it may be wrong, but i am not sure. any help is really appricated.

Remind us again what kind of car we are talking about? :-| Imagstation seems to be down hard and no pictures are coming thru...and I couldn't find the original posts.
Carb = done
Alt = done, but you think there is another problem since you "checked the alternator wires"??

Timing & firing order come first to mind and the oil press, you may have a partial ground somewhere. When you say the oil fades on/off, does it get full bright or just "flicker" what does your pressure guage say? Do you have the TSM or a Chilton/Hayes book to check wiring diagrams?

Mudrat

Redemption
02-07-2004, 09:49 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/470463/alternatortrouble.jpg

the oil light fades on and off, not so much a flicker. dont have a pressure guage yet either so no help there. will check to see if any wires have grounded out

jeepsr4ever
02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Why is that light on, sounds like you have some electrical difficulties like your battery needed charging. Most likely is that you didnt charge your battery when you installed your alternator, spitting sputtering and backfiring bad behavior ect. can be a direst result of this, charge your battery as soon as you can

Mudrat
02-07-2004, 12:16 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/470463/alternatortrouble.jpg

the oil light fades on and off, not so much a flicker. dont have a pressure guage yet either so no help there. will check to see if any wires have grounded out
Notice the red "X"? http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/470463/alternatortrouble.jpg.
Access Denied (Usage Limit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit.
Every time somebody opens this thread that page gets accessed.

Thanks MC, didn't think about the battery less than good-to-go.

Mudrat

Redemption
02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
ah on my comp it doesnt show up as a red x, only shows up as the picture, so sorry if I caused any trouble with that. didnt realize it cause, well I can see it. I did do that alternator est thing someone mentioned before, let the car run abit, then unhooked the positive cable from the battery, and when I did, the car shut off, on both alternators.

Redemption
02-07-2004, 05:43 PM
cheched the voltage on the battery as well as what comes from the alterntaor and its all as it is supposed to be. now I am told that it is misfiring as the carb is spitting fuel back out. a guy is coming back tommorow to check the dwell and something else, and in the meantime, I am going to check the plugs. he says i have like 3 cylinders that are dead. could be a valve or something sticking. any advice?

fuzz401
02-07-2004, 06:03 PM
looks like a motarola alut to me search the web and do the convershion to the GM style

Redemption
02-07-2004, 09:22 PM
change to a gm style alternator? if by chance my vlaves are sticking, what sort of thing do I do to get them unstuck, and how much trouble is that gonna take?

Redemption
02-08-2004, 08:42 PM
ok, mechanic friend came back over today and looked over the car again, and thought about it, and may have tracked the problem down. a bad ignition coil. would this cause the problems I described earlier?

Bulltear Ad