PDA

View Full Version : 304 Help

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Rojo540
02-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been reading for awhile. I've seen a lot of information on 360's and up, but I was wondering what I should do to my 304. This summer my friend and I plan on rebuilding it and doing some modifications, but I haven't learned how to do engines yet and don't know what parts to start acquiring. Anyone got an idea of some things to start off with? Thanks for your help - James

76 CJ-7|304|RE 4.5|35x12.5 Goodyear MTR

pyagid
02-11-2004, 06:09 AM
some of my questions are how crazy do you want to go? whats your approximate budget on this thing. Really you could take a lot of the info you have read on the 360's and apply it to the 304 as well.

I would do an intake manifold something like the edelbrock perfomer or air gap a summit cam or rv cam and either a 600cfm carb or a q-jet carb (you need an adapter plate for this, but they run excelent on the motors) I am sure a few of the other guys with more experiance building the motors will go into more detail about what you need.

WHile it is apart you may want to look into a new timing cover with the Bulltear Oil pump gears and midplate. As well as doing some of the other oil modifications you have seen around the site.

Paul

jeepsr4ever
02-11-2004, 07:45 AM
For a 304

cam a performer edelbrock would work good or a summit k8600
Definately an intake and carb, no more than a 600cfm carb
Might want to think about oiling as well
summit roller timing chain for AMC's
Flowkooler water pump
get the heads redone-new exhaust valves at least-valve seal ect.

Your 304 will be built much like a 360 with a little more attention placed on the exhaust valve rotators in the heads..........thatsd for your valve guy to do

fuzz401
02-11-2004, 07:59 AM
for a 304 some thing in the line of a com cam or any one in the 260 or 268 range
good intake performer or air gap intake
headers wheel well or in frame
a 600 carb max I would not run a spread bore carb on a sq flange intake to much of a pain with it sucking gaskets in all the time not enough sealing surface on the side
a good 3 angle valve job dump the rotators on the ex valve have the shop install some good single or double grove valves
cut all the sharp edges out of the intake and ex runners
internal oil line
good timing chain set
set of roller tiped rockers

Rojo540
02-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. The budget will probably be about $1500-2000 to start off with (summer work). I already have headers on it, but the gaskets are bad and they don't look too good. I'll probably start compiling the parts over the next few months. Thanks - James

Lifted79CJ7
02-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Uhhh, stupid question. Whats a rotator????

Jack

fuzz401
02-23-2004, 04:59 AM
rotators are what the factory uses on the ex valves to keep them turning

Rocky
02-26-2004, 01:19 AM
The cheapest, most effective upgrade for a 304 is a 360!
A good 360 core will only set you back a couple of bills, and the rest of the parts/machine work needed for a rebuild will cost no more than those for your 304. Even if you build it up bone stock, you're likely to get more power and torque out of a 360 than most mildly built 304s (for a lot less money).
Another benefit is that you can keep your 304 on the road until you have the 360 built and ready to drop in. (Plus you might even be able to get a couple of bucks out of your 304 from someone looking to swap out a six.)

Lifted79CJ7
02-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Rojo, I agree with rocky. I was in your shoes once and didn't take this advice. Boy am I kicking myself now! You can find 360's a dime a dozen and best of all, all of your 304 external parts will bolt right up to it (alternator, etc). In case you didn't know, the blocks externally are almost identical. And also as Rocky said, you can keep your Jeep on the road while biulding the 360. Plus, 360 parts are much easier to find.

Anywho, back to my silly question, what does a rotator look like? Is it something that is in around the seal/spring area? I feel like a fool for never hearing of them before. #-o

Jack

fuzz401
02-27-2004, 05:32 AM
they are the valve spring retainers on the exvalve they keep the exvalve turning

Bulltear Ad