PDA

View Full Version : CJ-7 + CJ-2A = ????

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Soylent_Green
02-11-2004, 08:45 PM
I've got a 78 CJ-7 that I picked up from a friend in trade for a B&M star shifter. It's got the 304, 3-speed, and it runs great. Frame and driveline are in great condition, spare the t-case shifter is frozen in 4-low. Electricals are a mess, having only enough "good" wiring to be able to start and drive it.

The body on the other hand is rotten. Front fenders are completely gone, the hood resembles painted cardboard, I was able to change the starter through the holes in the floor, and the whole body is held to the frame with no more than two or three bolts. (Imagine the humor in driving it when every time you depress the clutch, the whole front of the cab raises up!!!) The only redeming value to the body, is the grill, and the hard top. both, suprisingly, are in great condition.

Next to this jeep, I have a 47' CJ-2A. The body is unrestored, and in suprisingly good condition. The only rust that is a problem, is the bottom of the fenders, neer the front of the cab. (I think that they used piecies of wood for part of the body structure in this area) It has a dealer-installed steel half-cab, which also is in great condition.

The downside of the 47', is that the frame is in not that good of shape. It shows signs of major rusting, and I question it's straightness, because I know that it was once used to plow snow.

So, what do you think, CJ-2A on a CJ-7 frame? :-|

I'm not exactly sure about where to plan on putting things. Any suggestions on how I should position the body on the frame? Would is be feasable to move the engine say, 8 inches back, (mounting the CJ-2 body so the it's firewall is 8 inches back from where the CJ-7's was) so I would have better balence That should have the axles, set foreward and rear of the body about equally? Would this be good, or would it be an abomination?

I have never done anything of this magnitude, and would appriciate any advise gained by experience.

Thanks,
Cory ( 111!!! )

pyagid
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
i think a pretty common swap it the CJ-2 onto a early CJ-5 frame. But i am not sure about the CJ-7 frame. You could look at the frame dimensions I have posted in each topic and measure against the body to see what would work best.

i would think you would need some fab work to get it to work on a CJ-7

But no matter what you decide....post pics

Paul

jeepsr4ever
02-12-2004, 12:28 AM
cj2a on a cj7 frame....all the time....do it up and document it all the way lets see pics!!! Your 13 mls away from BT I can help you

durbs
02-12-2004, 12:57 AM
i think to make it look right you would have to shorten the frame prolly. i have a cj5 frame on a flatfender and i have quit a bit of extra space in the front...

Trailbst
02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Don't need to shorten the frame. Just set the body back on the frame. Looks good. Somewhere I have a pic of a guy who did just this. I'll scan it and post it eventually. :t:

Erik

Soylent_Green
02-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Yes, I will post lots of pictures of the build, as it happens.

I went out to the barn to take another look at the two machines, and I am feeling pretty optimistic. However, this minnesota climate steals my motivation every time I go out there with the intention of turning a wrench!

So, likely, I will continue making plans, and doing research, and gather whatever parts I think I will need, until the sun returns to this frozen land.

Thanks!
Cory <-----( 111!!! )

Bulltear Ad