Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
360 Block/401 Crank - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 360 Block/401 Crank

CR is my big concern I don't want to have to run AVGAS to make this thing run right. Also clearances are a concern... If I can get my hands on a 401 Crank/rods I will do a mock up. I don't want to spend a whole lot on the 401 crank/rods and then not be able to use it or lose money on it selling it. I have some pistons to use.... hell I could even do the clearance checks before I take the motor apart, just put in the 401 crank on 360 rods and do the checks. the pull a few pistons and put the piston on a 401 rod and do the same checks.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    MC????? Come on, we know you have this stuff laying around!! Help a brother out!!

Well looking on the AMCFORUM, its possible to make a 360 stroker but custom pistons are a must and if using the 401 Crank/Rods I will have to notch the lower part of the cylinder for clearance.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Shooo, with all that time and money, I'd rather build a twin turbo'd 360. Bet that would be one mean machine!

Yeah that is what I am thinking also...... So I guess back to the original plan of a 360, .040 over, 9.5:1 Compression, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 1406 carb, Summit 8600 Cam/timing gears, oiling mods... etc....

When I have some extra time and money I will do the 360 Stroker...

How about this one?

I just happen to be working on this very subject and here is what I've come up with so far. Let me know what yenz think.

-360 block bored 0.040 over

-401 crank offset ground to 3.80 stroke and 2.00 rod journal size

-Small journal 5.7" SB che*y rods with wrist pin end honed out to AMC size (0.927 to 1.00)

-Stock +0.040 360 pistons

This all adds up to;

3.8 stroke
    4.12 bore
    9.208 deck height
    5.7 rod length
    1.58 piston compression height
    58cc combustion chamber
    0.045 head gasket thickness
    20cc? piston volume (your size may differ)
    0.028 piston to deck clearance
    9.78 to 1 compression ratio
    405.283ci displacement

Have I left anything out? Let me know

I'm a computer geek by trade in the Navy, so I don't know all the in's & out's of what my machinest is fixin to do, since I'm still learning, but here is what I do know so far (except I can't find my notes...so its all from memory right now).

- 360 Block
    - Stock heads (ported, will be flow matched @ a later time)
    - 390 Crank
    - 401 pistons (will be shaved)
    - connecting rods (not custom) but form someone like chevy or maybe it was mopar
    - he's also making some changes to the heads, different valves & something else.
    - He's also doing something with the oil plumbing for the rear mains & to help lubing up the distributer gear or something.

- My machinest has done more than a handfull of the 360 stroker projects with the 390 & 401 crank Using AMC pistons. (as a matter of fact he just completed one...360 block 401 crank SBC aluminum rods & it hauls butt..pistons unknown). Though for some reason he does prefer to use the 390 crank...

- I'm trying to get permission from him to photograph the process and get the information from him about the complet process (ie what connecting rods, how much has to be shaved, how much grinding etc)

- Will keep you updated as the process progresses.... droping off the block thursday..... (yes he's already checked the block for thickness & what ever else he checked too). The block wont be done anytime soon though..... Told him I dont need it til around Feb... (Income tax return time)... but I droppin $1800.00 on to get the process started....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    timboamx

Welcome aboard!

Good stuff that stroker your going to love it!!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

timboamx,

Hey swabbie!

Whatcha putin that beast in?

Hope you trust yer builder like we trust you with our freedom!

THANKS FOR BEING THERE!

I sure do.... He use to race and held a couple of records for the Hornet straight 6 2-bbl.... also he did some work on the "Booth" Gremlin.. His buddy own's it now (right up the road from me apparently)... and he's also lookin it over too. He's been rappin stuff off about AMC and their engines since I met him.

Tim