Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tranny ID Swap help

Thread: Tranny ID Swap help

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Tranny ID Swap help

My xj has the BA 10/5 in it currently. According to www.jeeptech.com

The BA 10/5 is a light duty five speed transmission. It looks similar to the AX-15, but smaller and it is manufactured by Peugeot in France. The input shaft is 1 1/8" 10 spline and the output shaft can be 21 spline or 23 spline.
    My question is: Is there a way to determine what output shaft I have with out pulling the T-case off. I have and extra AX-15 sitting at home and figure I might as well swap that in if My t-case will bolt up to it.

Also according to Jeep Tech again

If you own a 21 spline NP231 and you want to swap in a 23 spline transmission, you can either look for a cheap 23 spline NP231 at the junk yard or go to your local Jeep Parts Dealer and order up a new input shaft part #5300-6085. This is the part you need to convert your NP231 to 23 spline input
    How difficult would this be to do as well?

Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

There’s no for sure way to determine the spline count of your output shaft without pulling the t-case. As a general rule of thumb I have been told the 21 spline was on the 4 cylinder and the 23 spline on a 6 cylinder

As for the difficulty going from a NP231 21 spline to a 23 spline input, I have no idea. I searched around online, but can't find anything. Asked Tigger, and he said a bunch of stuff that made no sense to me, so he might have some information for you later

Angel
    The only thing more fun to ride than a jeep is Me

EDITED because I am thinking wrong.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Paul, 231's are an easy case to work in and on - heck I did it so it must be simple
    When I put the SYE in mine it really was a piece of cake. [new shaft is the bottom one]

The mongo snap rings were the big problem for me. I broke a pair os snapring pliers - but I got 2 new sets with heavy duty replaceable tips

It would be easier if you have a press available to remove the needle bearings inside the drive gears - unless your doing the SYE then you throw them away

I was skeptical about that, but the new shaft is much beefyer (is that a word?) and the gears ride on oil pressure instead of bearings.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE