Bulltear Ad

Thread: Rockcrawler 401 buildup

Rockcrawler 401 buildup

I am in the process of building a 401 for my cj7. For this project I want the power band from 1500-4500 rpm range. What should I do to the heads for max hp in this range, or should I go with new edelbrock heads?I want to see if anyone could tell me the estimated hp with this setup. Also I have a set of 2380 .30 trw pistons will these give me a true 10:1 ratio with 58 cc heads? What is the highest compression ratio I can run on 93 octane? Which intake should I use performer or air gap? Any other suggestions

401 .30
    DUI ignition
    2380 .30 pistons
    Head work?
    holley 770 truck avenger carb
    K&N air cleaner
    comp cams 270H
    headman headers
    performer or air gap intake

Re: Rockcrawler 401 buildup

Quote Originally Posted by 401cj7
    I am in the process of building a 401 for my cj7. For this project I want the power band from 1500-4500 rpm range. What should I do to the heads for max hp in this range, or should I go with new edelbrock heads?I want to see if anyone could tell me the estimated hp with this setup. Also I have a set of 2380 .30 trw pistons will these give me a true 10:1 ratio with 58 cc heads? What is the highest compression ratio I can run on 93 octane? Which intake should I use performer or air gap? Any other suggestions

401 .30
    DUI ignition
    2380 .30 pistons
    Head work?
    holley 770 truck avenger carb
    K&N air cleaner
    comp cams 270H
    headman headers
    performer or air gap intake
    Regardsing the pistons, I will tell ya right now you are going to want to open your head uo to drop the compression. I just ripped apart A 401 with the same pistons and 3 of the wrist pin bores had proeblems due to detonations (this wasntt my engine) 10:1 with that style pistons isn't a good idea unless you keep your timing way back <35* IMHO.

-RJ
    1978 Jeep CJ-7 on Won-Tons :D Nv4500/4:1 SOA on ALCANS and mtr's