Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
How many experienced engine builder do we have here? - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many experienced engine builder do we have here?

Put parts together on chevies, fords, dodges and imports this is the first amc though. Machining unfortunately not sent it all out for items to be done. I have done valve guide replacement on chevy and fords but that is the extent of that.

I have done Chevy my first was 265 Chevy it ran good did 283 in a nova bord it , good pistons cam and all the need thing now I work on Continentals 4 and 6 flat heads with mags and up draft cabs

jerry

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I'm with Elliot and Paul, I can put one together but don't have a machine shop to do trick things and can't afford to do all I want to.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Hey Mudrat, do you have a valve spring compressor that would work on my 401 heads?

'Rented ' the one I used from Auto Zone....

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I only rebuilt engines back to OEM standards, 2 Ford 400's, a Ford 350M, Ford EFI 2.9L, Ford EFI 460, Ford 351C, and the only one that i failed on, my AMC 304.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Have rebuilt one Pontiac 400 for a Ventura I once owned. ran it hard two years before lost power due to 5 broken pistons.

Looking back, I can say I just threw it together after all, it was the first.

I'm currantly on my second rebuild and it is my first AMC with a 15 year seperation in the two. Whoa! at the knowladge I have aquired since that first goround

This one will be RIGHT!

As for "experienced", if you've done it you are, but if you've done it a lot and have become good and reliable, than I;de call you a professional =D>

Ditto to most others.... I helped build 1 401, 2 360's, an 351 boss, and a chev 350..... Always had more than one pair of hands and eyeballs on the project making sure we didn't do anything too stupid. When in doubt, grabbed my best friend who is a master mech, and lifelong Jeepr.
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...81293-thmb.jpg
    Phoenix is not Alaska, but it works...

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Ive rebuilt a lot of engines,, with bolt ons added.. and "built" a few but I have always used a reputable machinist, and had things done to my specs..I have to admit though for performance engines I almost always stick to a "recipe" that is proven.. certain parts and specs work well together and I tend to stick with them. no significant failures unless you count the big cam III cummins I built for a truck..the governer and pump stuck open.. it was turning 6000 rpm before it blew..not bad for pistons the size of coffee cans! (this engine normally redlines at 2200 rpm)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Well I can't say I am experienced, but I do know how to put them togeather and take them apart. I can fix them and keep them running. As for all of the tweaking and stuff I have no clue. I can get stock with slight mods to work, never tried anything to tough. Stroked a 4.0 to a 4.2 bored 20 over. But that was just because I had the parts laying around and needed an engine.
    Done a few Fords in my time also, 1 chevy(never do that again), 2 chryslers 4 poppers, and I can't count how many AMC's I have done.
    It's not that I am afraid to die....
    It's just that I don't want to be there when it happens -Anon
    Pics of Jeeps