Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Distributor gear oiling.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distributor gear oiling.......

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar

Distributor gear oiling.......

It is very important that the distributor and cam gear are properly oiled..if not they will chip, break or wear very fast and the pieces end up ruining your oil pump (timing cover) and eventually end up opening your oil filter bypass and damaging bearings,crank,cam,lifters and in some cases spleening your roller rocker bearing. Here is a pic of where why and how oil gets to your cam and distributor gear. The large timing gear (upper gear) depending on the manufacturer MUST have these oiling holes or grooves with a recess on the other side facing the front of the engine for oil to reach your gears....Lets take a look

[COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

how does the Summit sprocket get the oil from the chamfer to the front of the Sprocket? In the other sprocket it has a hole in it to let the oil get to the front. how can i get a picture of mine on here? I hope this is the problem with my Distributor gears getting wasted!

pheonix

The Summit brand timing gear has a slot in the gear for the oil, just make certain it is free from casting flaws
    [COLOR=#000000]

I found my old timing sprocket and compared it to the one i pulled. They both have the same design.. yet i had no problems with the last one. I am at the end of my rope for AMC. If i don't find the reason for this i am not going to rebuild it again. This last distributor gear tore up my pump, timing case,crankshaft, camshaft, and all my bearings from its filings. I would rebuild, but why risk another mystery failure?

If you have it apart you could send me the cover and gears and i could take a look
    [COLOR=#000000]

I have pictures of it on the Engine forum under 304 rebuild part II, if those help you. I can take more pics if you need. I borrowed a digital camera. Otherwise i can mail them to you.

here is the link
    http://geocities.com/wpww_tkc/photos.html

Judging by your pictures it appears that the distributor gear is too close to the cam gear! Is that a crown timing cover you bought as new from a vendor?
    [COLOR=#000000]

What about those slots in the front.........got those in the gear?
    Tumble weed
    -Briteblock

the cover is original, although there is some wear marks in the back of it from the gear, or so it looks. All the gears are the same, OEM style. The Timing chain sprocket is narrower than the OEM one. I have updated my pictures.

Please don't take this wrong, but I don't understand why a lot of people seem to have trouble with the distributor and cam gears...In 30 years of driving and racing AMC's and Jeeps, I have only once lost a dist gear. Actually two gears, 'cause I didn't figure out the real problem after the first. My broken gears were caused by a lifter plunger retainer wire that somehow got into the oil pump and jammed the gears. Once I figured this out, all I did was replace the dist gear and had no problems for another 7 yaers. I have mixed the gears, not worried about dist end-play and never had a problem. Of course I've never used a Crown cover, and I can understand why that would cause problems, I guess maybe I've just been lucky over the years?

Tom
    ARGH! It Drives Me Nuts!