Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Distributor gear oiling....... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Distributor gear oiling.......

I have since found the problem, The Cam sprockets oil groove was off about 2 degrees and didn't even line up with the fuel pump eccentric oil groove. therefore no oil was getting to the distributor drive gear. The Gear was a Mellings. And very poor quality i might add. I have since went to Cloyes true double roller and everything lines up perfectly so far that i can tell.

Re: Distributor gear oiling.......

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    It is very important that the distributor and cam gear are properly oiled..if not they will chip, break or wear very fast and the pieces end up ruining your oil pump (timing cover) and eventually end up opening your oil filter bypass and damaging bearings,crank,cam,lifters and in some cases spleening your roller rocker bearing. Here is a pic of where why and how oil gets to your cam and distributor gear. The large timing gear (upper gear) depending on the manufacturer MUST have these oiling holes or grooves with a recess on the other side facing the front of the engine for oil to reach your gears....Lets take a look

Oops wish I saw this before I posted in the engines section; that is the same gear my 343 had in it TRW. I had been runnign a replacement MSD distibutor with no problems to the cam gear or supplied installed msd disy gear, with the TRW sprocket.

By comparison the rollmaster timming gear has the grove oil channel design on the inside diameter of the cam hole. It also has the multiple groves around the outside diamater of the hole. However I noticed the summit gear has a "cup" where the "hole" in the TRW gear is, I assume to channel oil, but the rollmaster simply has the grove in the inside diamter if the gear without the cup?? Why does the summit gear have that "cup" and the rollmaster does not?

timing gear oiling channels

I looked at the rollmaster gear and it seems like they took a unique approach to the oil path design. Instead of a hole or cup for the oil to flow through they machined a 1/4" recess around the outside diameter of the cam hole, this would take care of ANY alignment problems that have plagued other manufacturers designs, the mating oil channel could be anywhere within that 360 degree channel and oil would be forced into it, THAT was a design!

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    I was looking at the pics at that URL and wondering where all that dirt came from inside the timing cover. May as well pour the filings from under the grinder into the oil, eh?

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Notice how in this pic, the half moon mark on the side of the slot? That is from the oil hole from the cam, The hole from the cam is half blocked off. http://geocities.com/wpww_tkc/Sprocket.JPG

In this pic, not only is the oil groove off line, but it has casting flash in the middle practically blocking it off. http://geocities.com/wpww_tkc/Timingsprocket.JPG
    These can be caught and fixed before hand, with a die grinder.
    Also, the more chain oiling grooves there are in the front of the sprocket, the less oil will get to the gears, bleedoff. http://mpcrescenzo.imgbay.com/Topgear.jpg Notice that the summit has 6 grooves, the trw has 4, and I believe that the rollmaster has 2. I might also think about enlarging the bevelled champher between the oil slot and oil groove, and maybe filling in the rest of the champher between the oil and keyway grooves.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 73hornut
    http://mpcrescenzo.imgbay.com/Topgear.jpg
    Well MC's pic doesn't open anymore -but my problem is finding a hardend roll pin for the dizzy gear
    out of 8 parts places, Northern is the only one that has hardend roll pins, but their 3/16th pin mic's out at .1971 vs .1875 (plus they are 1.01 long, not .75
    I've checked McMaster Carr and they don't carry a hardend pin that small Empire Machine is next on my list (we do have a semi-local place) but looking thru an 1800 page catalog

The $ealership (x3) want's $3-$3.75 for a single pin and it'll take a week to get here

What's wrong with the world??
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Dont worry about it...just use a spring pin
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Dont worry about it...just use a spring pin
    And that would be? A non hardend pin?

LoOking like the CJ isn't going to make the trip anyway - don't have all the parts to finish the build (brackets, p/s PUMP {it's still not here} etc) and get it all put back together. I'm still pull'n 10's at work and sometimes a 3 hour commute just to make the 30 mi trip home (freak'n tourists and tunnels - what DON't they understand about DO NOT WRECK IN THE F'ING TUNNEL!!!)
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Need pics updated.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

For whom? I changed ISP's and don't have any pics on-line right now. Probably could go back to Photobucket But it would take me a week to fnd them all and another to get them uploaded - 6 years of pictures!!! Sheesh!!!
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE